Wednesday 28 February 2024

Nobby's guide to Duthie Park

It occurs to me that, although I have often posted pictures of my daily early morning walk in Duthie Park, I have never presented readers with a proper, dog-relevant guide. 

A map of the park is posted at the various entry points to the park - see below - and for a leaflet published by the City Council you can click here, but I do feel that important information is missing in the official documentation, and I shall try in this post to fill in the gaps.

Here I am at the park entrance, a five minute walk from our house. This is the place where Gail lets me off the lead. The rules state that dogs in the park should be kept 'on a lead or under close control' but early in the morning, when you only see other dog walkers and the odd runner or cyclist, and no children are present, the 'close control' thing is liberally interpreted...

First stop is the gate to a closed off area behind the café. Every day I check this out, hoping that, as happened on one glorious instance last year, the gate has been left open and I might chance upon a trolley left unattended by a delivery man and laden with accessible sausage rolls and chicken sandwiches... One doesn't readily forget such episodes.

Next I move on to the decking area outside the café. It's true that any tasty foodables dropped by the previous day's customers have usually been cleaned out by our resident overweight seagull population, but on occasion one can still get lucky. 

Now it's time to scan the large grass area around the bandstand, as this is where other dogs play fetch, and ball-stealing opportunities abound. (We've covered this topic in a previous post). 

If nothing's doing on the ball front I trot over to the rhododendron bushes, through which I take a short cut and patiently wait for Gail while she walks the long way round the path.

And here we are now by the boating lake. Although I have only once, when a reckless puppy, actually jumped in, I do like to wander along the rim and see the slightly nervous look on Gail's face. 

When I tire of that, I divert into the secluded stone shelter where the variety of interesting smells are always worth investigating.

Close by this is a lovely boggy 'wetland area' which, for some reason, Gail disapproves of me running across. 

Finally, just before leaving, we pass the children's play area. Although it's unfenced, dogs are not supposed to go in here. These days I generally obey, although I did once have fun hiding from Gail under wee house on the left and refusing to come out...

There are, of course, lots more places in Duthie Park to tell you about, but these can wait for another day.

PS from Gail: I want to apologise on Nobby's behalf to the poor quality of some of these photos. I now finally have a diagnosis for the ongoing problem with my phone camera and am trying to decide whether or not it's worth getting it fixed or just biting the bullet and buying a new phone.

13 comments:

  1. We didn't think the pictures were bad at all! Thanks for the tour, Nobby!
    MJF used to go to a park across the street from his 'Granny', and he had loads of fun running loose there, in the early mornings it was OK, but after 8 am, then it was only for children and their caretakers/parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    Ta for the virtual tour, Nobby lad. Always a joy to see you at work on your daily mail! Hugs and wags YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely tour, Nobby , thank you. It's important to check the pee-mails each day, to keep up to date with current trends.
    I glanced at the leaflet - it's a pretty park but I was intrigued by the 'automated public convenience.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nobby what an interesting guide - what a fascinating selection of things there are to investigate. We recognise many things from your posts.
    Jabblog, we think the automated public convenience might be the same as the ones you find all over France!
    Nobby, perhaps you could send Gail in to have a look - just to satisfy anyone's curiosity?
    Love,
    Paca xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your park and your shenanigans and the story and YOU of course..I would love to climb on that tractor thing pulling the slide around. giggles on the sausage truck episode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS go for the new phone is my suggestion. I once paid for a repair on my camera and it was never the same. if the phone is more than a year old get all the new better and best stuff on a new one,..

      Delete
  6. Duthie Park is just beautiful and I can see why you would have wanted to jump into the boating lake. It actually calls to you, doesn't it, Nobby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely, and varied, place to walk, so close to home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nobby should you take off on an independent platform run or into a kitchen (Bertie) or up on the lovely table of HGma had set for tea(Hamish) you will be definitely following in the footsteps of the terriers who came before you.
    The park is lovely...
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for taking us on a tour of your beautiful, big park, Nobby. We can't wait to learn more about it in a future post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful park, we like the way you are always keeping Gail on her toes!
    xoxo,
    Rosy & Sunny
    PeeEss...We love your header, what a handsome picture of you surrounded by wildflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fantastic area to walk and I am sure you have marked every inch of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting area to stroll in! It must be filled with good sniffs and opportunities for fun---and mischief! You are very lucky to have it so close!

    Rosie and Redford

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!