Tuesday 23 August 2022

A battle of wits

I hope you agree it is important to provide one's human with regular mental stimulation. Especially when they are retired from work and there is an obvious danger that their brain might go to seed.

It is true that Gail does perhaps not see my ball stealing activities in Duthie Park in quite the same positive light, but let me make my case.

What fun it is to see Gail chasing around after me when I steal another dog's ball and don't give it back. As it's quite clear that I can outrun her "used to be a sprinter" legs, and as I'm aware that she worries about the other dog's owner getting impatient with my antics and wanting their ball back, my actions force my owner to engage her brain cells and think up a strategy for recovering said ball.

So first off Gail decided to bring along an old tennis ball to the park as a 'decoy'. As if I would be interested in that.

Gail then upped the ante with the purchase of a squishy purple 'kong' ball which squeaks when it bounces. This is much more to my taste and I especially commend the fact that it cost a whole £4.99. Reassuringly expensive! 


So when I met one of my cockerpoo pals on my early morning walk this week, I did as usual steal his orange ball but this time was quite happy to drop it in exchange for my superior purple model.

Imagine this. Gail thought she'd won the battle of wits when she returned orange ball to owner!

Twenty minutes later, while a jogger lapped the park twice and the park gardeners looked on in great amusement at me running rings around Gail (both literally and metaphorically), I still had the ball between my teeth and Gail was getting hot and bothered and telling me she'd be late for meeting her cycling friends.

Did I mention that I waited until Thursday, her regular cycling day, to pull this stunt?

Eventually, but not before Gail was very much in danger of mislaying her normal calm and cheery demeanour, I foolishly relaxed my guard. Distracted by two other potential playmates - another cockerpoo and a schnauzer - I allowed Gail close enough to grab my collar and my ball.

However, the story has a happy ending as I do believe I will have been successful in forcing Gail to come up with a new strategy for next time we visit the park. And thankfully I am fairly confident that she would consider the obvious solution of keeping me on the lead at all times to be a humiliating defeat...

10 comments:

  1. yes... that was success dear nobby... and we applaude da super smart terrier pup

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nobby, you are a bad lad!
    Poor Gail, the indignity of having to chase you all round the park. You be careful, she may decide that she won't take you there again until you've learned to give the balls back nicely, so better get practising. Until then you might be confined to walking round the streets instead - and you know how boring that can be!

    Love,
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Nobby, you are cute as a button, but your antics are terrierable! I confess I am used to herding-dog stunts....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fay's word terrierable! fits you pawfectly! don't tell Gail I said this, but its good for her to have to run after you because if we don't use it we lose it and this will keep her running as long as you can and do.... oh no, NOT THE LEAD! you might better give up the ball thieving and think about the future

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Nobby, you are earning your "naughty" name big time! We admire your stubborn refusal to give up the ball! Terriers are stubborn by nature, right?

    Your friends Rosie and Redford

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you were playing the keep away game...you rascal, you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nobby Nobby Nobby I think maybe your idea was to make sure Gail chased you so either her muscles were warmed up and ready for her bike ride or so that they were properly stretched afterwards so she would not be too sore.
    Either way it was all for GAIL's benefit....just sayin'
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi young friend! It is important for humans to maintain their mental acuity and physical agility. Clearly you are helping your Gail with both - good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Nobby, there are so many lessons for a youngster to learn and we know you're trying hard to be a good pup. By the way, I've noticed in recent photos that you're growing up to be a very handsome fellow.

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!