Friday 15 March 2024

Keystone Species in Loch Torridon

Welcome, dear friends, to a Nature Friday special, inspired by the quiz night Gail attended last weekend to raise funds for the Maerl Friends of Loch Torridon.

Can you explain what is meant by a 'keystone species'?

This was one of the quiz questions which Gail was apparently able to answer correctly. When I looked it up I found the following definition:

"A keystone species is an organism that helps define an entire ecosystem. Without its keystone species, the ecosystem would be dramatically different or cease to exist altogether."

I am delighted to report that my close relative the wolf counts as a keystone species, which makes me feel kind of important too. 

I'll admit I was a bit surprised to learn that in Loch Torridon one can find small nodules of frankly unimpressive looking purple algae called 'maerl', and this stuff is also considered to be a keystone species. It's a long way from Canis lupus. The nodules of maerl (pictured below) form carpets known as 'maerl beds', and they are a 'priority marine feature', their presence supporting a diverse assemblage of sea life. Young scallops in particular find these maerl beds a congenial habitat, so I'm told. 
photo from NatureScot website

Well after I heard about this, I hastened down to the shore of the loch at both low tide and high tide, but couldn't spot anything that looked remotely like a carpet of maerl.

Gail laughed and told me I was barking up the wrong tree. A bit insulting as well as an inappropriate metaphor I feel, but it seems the local maerl beds are located some distance away, in a few meters of water near the head of the loch, and I would need diving kit if I wanted to see them in situ

Also, I'm told that the precise location and extent of these precious but vulnerable algal carpets is poorly understood, and this is why the 'Maerl Friends' group has formed and is raising funds to further survey, research and protect Loch Torridon's maerl bed habitat.  

Which I guess is a good thing. 

But no, I'm not offering to go snorkelling or scuba diving... 

Once again a big thank you to our dear friends Rosy and Sunny for hosting our favourite blog hop.


15 comments:

  1. The smallest things have their place in the world. May the Maerl Friends grow and prosper and ensure that maerl continues to play its important part in the ecosystem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh wow you know a lot about our world and about all things in it.... we are deep impressed... welll foxterriers are super smart, there we have it ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something new to learn every day - and to be grateful got nature friday blog posts. Meanwhile I note a generous supply of wrack on your beach. Time was F would be covertly spiriting that back onto her garden! You meanwhile appear to have been bathed in sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The maerl is interesting and really kinda pretty but no scuba diving for me either, Nobby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness that's a very scientific blog today, Nobby! I'm glad that we have learned something new and wonder if we have such a thing as maerl in our sea. Carol says that she's not going to buy me a diving kit so that I can find out, which I think is a bit mean don't you!
    Love
    Paca xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby, you may be missing a chance to be a pioneering dog... though, pawhaps, diving is taking things just tad beyond! Still, you did your best - and managed to share some gawjuss images of your local environs over on the westy-west coast of this Bonny Land! hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. we think you would be really cute in a dive suit and snorkel.. we knew none of this and now know what a keystone is, we knew about keystone to a building, but not this kind of keystone. today has been a good day for learning about nature. We think you are most handsome today and are wondering if mud has a keystone and if so, is it YOU??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for teaching us about maerl, Nobby. It looks like you had fun exploring the coast looking for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nobby what an educational an colorful post. I had no idea about keystone. Now I'm wondering about the NC Coast. All of that being said...you my handsome WFT are looking very dapper today.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once again, Nobby, thank you for broadening our knowledge of nature. The next-to-the-last picture shows you in excellent sleuthing mode.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nobby you are quite the 'intellectual doggie' informative post and thanks, but love the photos of you Nobby the best ~ hugs,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete

  12. Hi hi hi! Ojo here! Hmmm, wolves and algae are not quite the same thing at all. But at least you got to go to Beach!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look like little monster from the Loch to me

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nobby, you look stunning amidst the pretty crocuses in your header. And we so wish we could explore the shoreline with you.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is an interesting bit of knowledge, Nobby!

    I hope that delicate/fragile ecosystem survives in its pristine state and undisturbed for many generations to come.

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!