Wednesday 27 March 2024

Ball thief update

Leaving aside that I dispute the characterisation of myself as a 'ball thief' (I'd prefer to be known as someone who loves to interact creatively and has an impressive ability to focus on careful guarding of a particular resource), I want to take this opportunity to update you on the state of play regarding my behaviour in the Duthie Park. 

Gail calls it an "arms race". 

So on approach to the grassy area in the centre of the park, every morning I survey the scene, first over to the bandstand in the centre then clockwise around the perimeter, scanning the statue of park benefactor Elizabeth Duthie, the obelisk commemorating the contributions of military surgeon  Sir James McGrigor (1771 - 1851), and the JJR MacLeod Memorial corner. 

But I am not interested in these historical monuments, I am looking for any dog who is playing with a ball.

My eyesight is keener than Gail's, at least when she is not wearing her glasses, and you can guarantee I will spot the ball first and be half way across the park before she shouts in vain "come, Nobby, come!"

It doesn't take long for me to gain possession of the ball. No matter the size of the other dog, my determination wins the day, and I am most reluctant to relinquish my prized acquisition.

But these days Gail has a trick up her sleeve. Or rather in her coat pocket. 

MY FAVOURITE SQUEAKY YELLOW BALL*

I just can't resist when she squeezes the ball and it makes a noise exactly like that field vole I once, most thrillingly, caught. 

So I drop the other dog's ball and approach Gail, who clamps on my lead.

I am then allowed to carry my squeaky ball all the way back home, but am not allowed to take it inside the house.

As I do not like standing outside out front door, especially, as yesterday, when it is raining and cold, I reluctantly let the ball go...


* £1.50 from Asda

16 comments:

  1. That squeaky ball is your treasure and you cannot bring it inside?? Sheesh! Maybe you love it so much that the squeaks make your Gail go nuts hearing it all the time?? Our doggy cousin does things like that, too.
    I Benji don't allow squeakers to stay in my house, I dissect them all out of their 'holders'!! BOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail says: I am reluctant to "devalue" the ball in Nobby's eyes by allowing him to play with it in the house. It's currently so useful in getting him to release balls he's stolen from other dogs before their owners get annoyed. As I said, it's an arms race!

      Delete
  2. Hari Om
    Well Nobby, I think Gail may be holding the ace in her pocket... and you are a good boy for playing along 😀 hugs and wags YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I know what I'm missing - now that we no longer go to the dog park - I can't resist a ball either, Nobby! I love all my squeaky toys too, except that I can rarely make the squeakers work! We have great games in the garden when I chase after the ball and won't let it go. Now we play with two and I'm learning to drop one before the second one is thrown for me! Pity I can't get them both in my mouth, then I'd never let go!
    Love,
    Paca xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paca,
      It is a source of endless frustration to me that I cannot fit two balls in my mouth. And it's not for want of trying...
      Toodle-oo!
      Nobby.

      Delete
    2. Carol's first Labrador Sultan (ask Gail about him) could get two tennis balls in his mouth and a golf ball - how about that!

      Delete
  4. You are a good boy, Nobby, to drop the ball so promptly (well, it looked prompt, anyway!) Squeaky balls are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking there is a slight chance the video could be described as "torture by rain drops" kind of like water boarding but not.. ha ha... good job on describing events to you Gail, I watched the whole thing in my MIND and enjoyed the theft of the ball and also must say the answer to this issues is priceless and also extremely creative. it works! wow! who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMDs Nobby that is one happy ball and it talks..win win.
    Thankful Gail has solved any problems that might arise with another dog who loves his/her ball as much as you love Squeaky Happy Ball.
    The weather blabbers are threatening areas close to us and maybe even us with inches of rain tomorrow. We've already had a heavy shower this am (it is not cold though). Happy to say some of the EYDOTD (evil yellow dust of the devil) was washed away too
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your happy yellow ball, Nobby, but I am sad that he has to stay outside in the rain. Mine is always inside with me but Wilson doesn't squeak.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you've invented a great game of take away, Nobby. Gail is very clever to take your favorite squeaky ball with her to get you to give up your new found posession.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Nobby....you are such a good boy leaving your ball outside, so good, in fact, that now Mama says we are going to have to work on my "leave it" skills.....
    les sigh, xoxo,
    Sunny...who may have initially dropped the ball, but when it started rolling all bets would have been off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail is getting very sneaky these days. She attaches my lead to the railings, positioning me such that when I drop the ball it rolls away out of my reach. So not fair!

      Delete
  10. Nobby, you are the clever one in allowing Gail to appear to have gained the upper hand here. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Squeaky Balls are the best! And we are so impressed with your skill of "drop it"! That's something Redford refuses to do when he has his favorite squeaky ball!

    Rosie and Redford

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!