Monday 25 March 2024

But it says Slovenia's dog-friendly...

I always like to keep an eye on what Gail brings back from her trips to the Aberdeen Central Library, and I got all excited this week when I saw her latest selections.

So it seems she might be planning a trip to a place called Slovenia.
Tadej Pogačar

I wondered at first if Gail was contemplating a pilgrimage to the birthplace of her favourite cycling pro, Tadej Pogačarbut then I saw she was in fact researching options for hiking in the Julian Alps. Apparently she and her friend Marse are going to meet up there in late May. 

Having been left behind once already this year, when Gail travelled to visit Marse and her family in Tacoma, Washington, I naturally assumed that this time I would be accompanying her. After all, I know she took my predecessor Bouncing Bertie to Switzerland and to Germany via train and ferry, and Slovenia really isn't that much further away. (I got a bit confused at first when trying to locate the country on Gail's old atlas, as this family heirloom dates back to the 1950s, when Slovenia was part of what is now referred to as the 'former Yugoslavia'.)

Anyway, this is what I found when I asked Google: 'is Slovenia dog-friendly?'
 
Sounds just up my street, don't you think? And I could so contribute to ensuring that the hiking trails remain "well marked"...

But it turns out Gail thinks I am "not yet calm enough" to be taken on a holiday that would entail several lengthy train journeys. One day perhaps?

Meanwhile, my disappointment was somewhat mitigated when I heard I've been booked in for a stay with my fox terrier relatives for the two weeks when Gail plans to be away.

10 comments:

  1. There are always compensations for not travelling, Nobby, and spending time with your family will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry Nobby, I am older than you but have been told that I'm still too excitable to go on a long journey and certain other places that adults (and well behaved, calm dogs) go to. If I think about it, I'm really quite happy to stay at home, but don't know if I'd manage if she isn't here. Perhaps I'm getting a bit too old to enjoy new experiences?
    Love,
    Paca xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. the good news about all of this is you will not have to stay calm and not run about because you will be with all those other WFT and having fun runs together. you can expend all the energy you want to...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a bummer that you won't be included, Nobby, but I'm sure you'll have a great time with your WFT relatives while Gail is away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's too bad you can't go along on Gail's upcoming trip, but we bet you will have a great time with your relatives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frankly Nobby I think you will be happy as a clam staying with your extended family. Running about on their beautiful farm no rules just fun and food and family.
    Gail I am so happy you and Marse have this wonderful trip planned. I had a co worker from Slovenia...she always talked about the beauty.
    Glad to hear you have a new camera and are learning all the tricks so you can share the trip with us
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. That will be an exciting trip! For a moment I confused Marse with your at-home friend, M.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an exciting trip. There is nothing fun in America, just a grand hold in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi hi hi! Ojo here! Dog relatives or travelling and smelling new things - that's a tough choice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Gail is quite the traveler! So many cool places! We hope that someday you get to go too Nobby!

    Rosie and Redford

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!