Friday 16 February 2024

Toad time

For reasons that will be clear to anyone who read my blog on Wednesday, I am devoting this week's Nature Friday post to the subject of TOADS.

Not that, after my recent unfortunate encounter, I am in any way devoted to these ugly, warty-skinned amphibians...

First let's have a look at the Bufo bufo, known in the UK simply as the common toad. Here's one that Gail spotted when out on a walk in Blackhall Forest with Bertie on 25 March 2020.


And here's a bunch of them, photographed on the same day, indulging in what I think can best be described as a toad orgy. 

Shall I let you into a secret? Gail tells me she didn't post these photos at the time because, as you might have already deduced, this was two days into the UK's harsh 'lockdown' and she didn't want to get arrested...  I note that my predecessor Bertie is looking a wee bit furtive here, don't you think? 

Anyway, back to the toads. The good news is that Bufo bufo, which is the type I 'kissed', is nowhere near as poisonous as some of the species of toad found on other continents. Gail tells me that if I had toyed with the notoriously poisonous Cane Toad (Rhinella marina) I likely wouldn't be here to tell the tale...

What about toads in literature?

Well of course we first think of Mr. Toad of Toad Hall from Kenneth Grahame's  'The Wind in the Willows' (one of Gail's favourite childhood books). Mr. Toad was portrayed as wayward, ebullient, over-confident and boastful - sounds like my kind of guy! 

British poet Philip Larkin wrote a poem titled Toads, although it's about the trials of working life, and not a nature poem at all, as you can see from the first two verses:

Toads by Philip Larkin
Why should I let the toad work
Squat on my life?
Can't I use my wit as a pitchfork
And drive the brute off?

Six days of the week it soils
With its sickening poison -
Just for paying a few bills!
That's out of proportion.


Mr Larkin was never the cheeriest of poets. So finally, let's lighten the mood again and turn to culinary matters.

Although it seems that French frogs have the edge over toads in the legs department, I do like the look of the classic British dish 'Toad in the Hole'.

Gail says she might bake me a Toad in Hole one day, in the faint hope that I might learn what kind of toad it is and isn't acceptable to put in my mouth...

16 comments:

  1. we prefer that toad in a hole... the other ones are bad for our health and for the wallet... if water can not do the trick, the price for one anti-toad-e pill is now 35... oh my...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photographs. I was surprised that the toads were 'procreating' on dry land. I thought all amphibians conducted such activities in water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail replies: I thought so too!

      Delete
    2. We have never seen a toad orgy before and honestly, it does not look like fun. The toads we have here we call foundation toads and they are actually cute and fat and docile. I prefer your Toad in the Hole delight, Nobby.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you posted this. I knew about the danger of toads but it has gone to the back of my brain, and now I will be more aware since this is the time of year they come. Florida has the bufo and the cane and both can be deadly. I just went out to check and now i know what to look for. they had a warning out that Florida residents should be aware and watch out for them this time of year.
    We have cuban tree frogs, and tiny toads in the pool each year. and i have a whole series of them making babies but no orgy. one year I raised the tadpoles in the rain barrel and quickly learned do not do that. I think it was a smart move to wait unitl now to post, what would Bertie do if mama was locked up.. Nobby keep and eye out for the toads and don't touch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not being British F has never quite understood what Toad in the Hole is, Nobby - it LOOKS like sausages in a Yorkshire Pudding and I am wondering whether the greenery in that photo is in fact part of the original rendering or a nod to a more modern incitement to include vegetation in the human diet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail says: F is correct on all counts. 'Toad in the hole' IS sausages in Yorkshire pudding and the greenery in the photo, thyme I think, is not part of the traditional recipe!

      Delete
  5. Mom doesn't like toads or frogs of any kind and we are not allowed to go near them because they hop and it scares her more. She says they are scary, ugly, and just disgusting creatures. Give her mice or other furry critters. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby, that was a fine selection, showcasing "toad" in all variety! Count me impressed. Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nobby you and Gail made me (giggle)GOL GOL GOL I agree that was a toad orgy.
    Toad in a Hole...looks quite yummy, especially the crust.
    My Daddy used to go frog gigging. Mama did not know how to cook the frog legs and had not desire to learn. My Grandmother fried them. I am quite thankful to say I never ever NO never had any desire to eat a frog leg.
    Hugs and Happy Weekend
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dish looks very tasty and would be the only kind of toad we would like to taste.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh, those toads look horrible - they can only be attractive to another toad - as we can see from Gail's second photo!
    I'm surprised we don't have Toad in the Hole here because Carol loves sausages and Yorkshire pudding - seems an excellent combination to me. Mind you, she's not much of a cook and her finished dish wouldn't look so scrumptious.
    Love
    Paca xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an informative post on these crazy creatures....Mama would prefer if they would stay out of our backyard this summer!
    xoxo,
    Rosy & Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quite the post about 'toads' ~ much prefer you Nobby ~ sweet one ~ I am always so happy to see you comment on my blog ~ hugs,


    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have an odd toad or two around here, mostly seen early or late in the day...we let them be as they do eat a lot of insect pests. We will sniff them, but then loose interest right away...cause we think they stink!
    We get lots of tree frogs here, and they stick to our windows...one even went for a car ride once, about 60 miles round trip! Wowee!

    Your toad in the hole looks yummy! Did you get any, Nobby??

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!