Wednesday 14 February 2024

It only takes one toad...


Happy Valentine's Day friends!

Gail informs me that little girls are taught you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince.

What I learned last Friday is that a fox terrier only needs to kiss one toad before he gets a very sore mouth indeed...

Oh, apparently Gail has more to add..

Gail here: 

All is now well with Nobby but it was a somewhat stressful weekend. 

Nobby and I were at the Torridon cottage for a few days, joined by my Aberdeen neighbour Yvonne. Shortly after arrival on Friday afternoon, we took Nobby for a walk up the lane to a viewpoint over Loch Torridon and at some point I noticed his jaws seemed to be chomping on something and there was foam around his teeth. He's always nosing about in the vegetation and you'll remember he once successfully caught a vole and let it go, but I never actually saw any creature in his mouth this time.

Back at the cottage he continued to work his jaws, pawing at his mouth and salivating (a lot). I wondered if he had something stuck between his teeth or in the roof of his mouth. He wasn't going to permit a close examination, but as far as I could see, nothing unusual there. Thankfully there was no sign of choking.

He ate his evening meal no problem, was restless all evening and the apparent discomfort in his mouth continued, but he had a quiet night.

Come Saturday morning I noticed he was drinking and drinking. I repeatedly filled his water bowl. With no vomiting or diarrhoea, Nobby was eating normally and had plenty of energy for a breezy five mile walk, but was lapping at every available puddle when outdoors. 

Then back at the cottage he started to tremble and I started to get very worried. Cue a couple of phone calls, first to my retired vet friend Kirsty, in Aberdeen, and second to an 'official' emergency vet. Both thought a 'watch and wait' approach to be appropriate. It was Kirsty who suggested Nobby might have 'kissed' a toad and after consulting Dr Google I concluded this was a very credible hypothesis, given Nobby's symptoms and the fact that I've many times seen toads around the cottage.

In the evening, Nobby came with us to a local bar, where Yvonne and I enjoyed a delicious meal, and he sat quietly at our feet wearing a somewhat hangdog expression.

Before bed, Nobby spent about twenty minutes sluicing his mouth with more water from the bowl, and was still trembling a bit.

We retired for the night, me still imagining all sorts of terrible outcomes for Nobby, but by morning he seemed fully recovered and back to his usual happy, exuberant self, and has been absolutely fine ever since.

What a relief! 

23 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that Nobby is back to his usual self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby, Gail's narration of your un-Valentine episode had me tensing my shoulders and gritting my teeth!!! I am very glad that you pretty much resolved things for yourself, essentially flushing the toxin away. But the thing is, lad, have you learned a lesson....??????!!!! Hugs and wags, YAM-auntyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. we can sing the toad song... that happened to us too... sadly they learned nothing from the event... it's a challenge... hugs to you dear nobby and a happy valentines day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Nobby, I'm so sorry to hear that you have had such a nasty experience, but it's good to know that you are better.
    I have been under the weather too, with an upset tummy, so yesterday Carol took me to the vet. He felt me all over, and took my temperature (so undignified!) then he sent Carol off shopping while he took an x-ray. Seems I have gastro enteritis and am now on a very strict diet - special kibble and NO treats! I don't mind not getting any walks for a day or two because I really just want to sleep, but I'll miss going out for coffee and seeing my GSD friend Danka, today.
    Love,
    Paca xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Paca, poor you. We do hope you're fully better soon and will be back to treats and seeing your GSD friend Danka.
      Toodle-oo!
      Nobby (and Gail).

      Delete
    2. Good wishes for Paca's full recovery.

      Delete
  5. Poor Nobby. I'm glad you're better now, but please don't do that again - it's very hard on the humans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard that those toads can be quite nasty and to stay away. Thank goodness you're okay, Nobby. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nobby - I sense a need for toad aversion therapy (or are you a smart guy and you will never do that again?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail replies: Nobby is a smart guy, but perhaps not in the toad aversion sense!

      Delete
  8. A very lucky boy, Nobby. Never visit a place with poisonous toads—Florida comes to mind (no pun intended, actually....).

    ReplyDelete
  9. so sorry you kissed that frog.. they are nasty when picked up or attacked, we have bad ones here in Florida, and lucky for us have never had one in our yard. I am glad you are ok and hoping you will leave the next one alone butt I doubt you will, because dogs are like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leaping foul tasting Frogs Nobby.
    We are extremely happy to read the rest of your story.
    Would we be correct in aSSuming there will be no more kissin' frogs?
    Hugs Cecilia and Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear, Nobby. Hopefully the old saying "once kissed, twice shy" will apply here. I'm glad the ill effects seem to have passed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Valentine's Day, Nobby. We hope you learned your lesson about kissing frogs. That doesn't sound like a pleasant event.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Nobby, Rosy and I both sympathize....Both of us have tried to "play" with our backyard toads during the summer with similar outcomes. Luckily, I (Rosy) learned from my mistake and leave them alone...Sunny, not so much. When she does get a hold of a croaker, Mama found flushing her mouth out with water immediately has kept the foaming at bay and diminishes any other symptoms...

    Darn frogs!
    xoxo,
    Rosy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad to hear that Nobby is doing well once again. Here in Florida we have a lot of "Bufo" or Cane toads and they are highly toxic. Foaming and pawing at the mouth are symptoms of exposure to one of these toads. Here they suggest washing out the mouth with a water hose to get as much of the poison out as possible and then rushing to a vet. A friend's dog passed away 30 minutes after exposure. Hopefully you don't have this species of toad where you are but just thought I'd pass along the information. Sending you and Nobby big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi hi hi! Ojo here! Oh no! We are very glad you're okay! Don't lick those yucky things, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are so sorry you both had to experience this, but so happy that Nobby is OK. Mom hopes we don't decide to kiss any toads here.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  17. How frightning. Thank God you are okay. I hope your mom has recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't try any more romance moves with toads, Nobby! Those things are s]useful to peeps vwcause they eat a lot of bugs, but they are vile in a pups mouth!

    We are glad all is fine now!! Phew!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We are so glad that you are okay Nobby! But really, a vole we could understand chomping on but a toad? Doesn't sound delicious at all!

    Rosie and Redford

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!