Friday 22 September 2023

Nature (writing) Friday report: It's all about ME!

Well first off, here's a slightly blurry seasonal photo of me, standing in a field just on the edge of Aberdeen. This is for those of you who (understandably) really aren't that interested in following Gail's progress on her online 'Nature Writing' course.

I note, however, that a few commenters last week did enquire about how Gail's story about me peeing on a tree trunk was received. 

It seems that the students are not awarded grades on this course, but the tutor does provide plenty of insightful feedback. And guess what he said last week? He absolutely loved all the bits about ME, and thought Gail's piece would have been even better if there has been more about my peeing habits, and less about the city council (I'm paraphrasing here). I'm liking this tutor already! 

For this week's task, Gail had to write 500 words about some object that was or had once been alive, focusing on the senses other than sight, i.e. sound, smell, touch and, if appropriate, taste. I'm delighted to report that, once again, I feature front and centre in this true story.


Worse than 'Eau de Rotting Fish'


It was the crackling sound that caught my attention, just as I passed the door of the study. My dog Nobby likes to relax in there, curled up on the seat of an ancient armchair. Nobby is a serial chewer of all kinds of objects, animal, vegetable and mineral, but this noise was unfamiliar, the notes higher and thinner than when he’s attacking his current favourite, the deer antler I picked up in the hills a short while back. What on earth had he found now? Was it a pen or biro perhaps? I thought I’d managed to hide all those. At least it didn’t sound like the shattering of expensive varifocals, this time.

Then I entered the room and the smell hit.

Dogs born with a hunting instinct and an overdose of curiosity – and mischief – will present their owners with a wide range of ‘challenges’ to the olfactory senses. We will be familiar with the outcome of our beloved pup’s enthusiastic rolls in fox poo or a decomposing fish carcass (the male canine equivalent of the teenager drenching himself in Brut at a 1970s disco). Our noses will also recognise the unfortunate odours associated with tummy upsets caused by our Best Friend’s less discriminating food choices.

Today’s smell carried notes of all the above, amplified with a uniquely revolting overlay of pungent sweetness. With trepidation, I approached closer to investigate.

Part clamped between Nobby’s still enthusiastically chomping jaws, part smeared on the armchair, was a dark mass of semi-congealed slime. Mixed in with this, jagged fragments of gastropod shell, the coiled pattern still discernible. Texture-wise, think raw egg that didn’t survive the trip home from the supermarket. But texture was not the main issue here…

Horrified, I cried “leave it Nobby!” To my surprise, he released his prize catch. I fetched a disposable nitrile glove from my Covid-era supply and, suppressing a strong gag reflex, I scraped the fetid remains of what was once a garden snail (exact species indeterminate) off the cushion of the favourite old recliner.

How was it that this organism smelled so utterly horrid? To me if not to my pet, whose tastes are clearly atrocious. The snails I find alive and well in my overgrown back garden do not give off a unpleasant odour; neither do the faded empty shells of those long deceased. But a Google search reveals an abundance of eloquent and colourful accounts describing the dreadful stench emitted by dead snails. A friend later tells me that these creatures are known to secrete a toxic substance when scared, although she is not sure about any associated aroma. Well, if Nobby’s ‘treat’ was still alive when he first set teeth in it, I’m afraid it isn’t now. I only hope it has done him no harm.

I have a trip to Paris scheduled for early December. I shall not be tempted to choose ‘escargot’ from a restaurant menu.

Happy Nature Friday, and thanks once again to our LLB Gang friends for hosting this, always our favourite blog hop. 

16 comments:

  1. oooh eau de dead sardines is a challenge... and efurrything seafood can become a special event... we had to remove the floor after da Easy decorated it with a rotten oyster ;O)))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby... you didn't think you would get away with this event going unrepawted by your hyoomon, did you?! That last photo makes you look like you thought it was a good thing... All I could do was try and NOT smell it via Gail's descriptions. yeeeecchhh..... hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx (Who loves that we are getting some insight as to the course and its challenges!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Gail's tutor is highly entertained by reports of your exploits, Nobby, as are we. Really, though, if you must eat disgusting things, at least do so outside. Ughhh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nobby! Whatever possessed you? Surely you can find more nutritious snacks, or better things to clean your teeth on? Escargot are for hedgegogs and crows (and French humans).

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love that Gail is writing all about you, Nobby, and we're also happy that breakfast isn't for another half an hour so we can forget about this smelly content☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom loves to write and she says that it is good to be forced to write about topics that are not so much your interest, but if it is a topic you love, like you, Nobby, your creativity will really shine, even if it is about pee LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. all I can say, is Well, I never! as in never knew snails can stink. I have only seen the empty shell and the living full shell. hope I never meet what you found. I think she will get a really postive note on this one from the tutor. Bob cleaned a huge fish in the front yard, he decided to put all the remains under the new plants in the back yard, he dug them into the dirt surrounding 2 plants. In a few days we noticed Max rolling in ecstasy under the plants, that fish slime rivaled the smell of a dead body of anything once living. three soap downs and 2 swims in the pool and he still smelled. I threatened bob to become the next buried body if he ever did that again...

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all bravo on the Nature Class writing instructor. He knows a good subject when he reads one.
    OMDs x 87 "Nobby is a serial chewer". Nobby as we used to say about Toto the mighty mini dachshund...he ate anything that he could catch are be lucky enough to see hit the floor. Leave it was not in our k9 vocabulary and no way was I putting my hand anywhere near his mighty jaws on a mission.
    Now Gail I am gagging with you. I am very sensitive to pungent aromas...if something doesn't agree with my nose it will not go in my mouth. Nobby might have done you a wee favor NOW YOU WILL NOT BE tempted to try escargot.
    Hugs and thankfully I'm slowly getting my blog list rebuilt one blog at a time.
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love Gail's story of your stinky exploits, Nobby. You look so innocent sitting in that chair.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Nobby,
    APPAWS!!!! APPAWS!!!! Aren't snails delicious? Especially when they are "fresh"
    xoxo,
    Rosy
    From Beth: This is very reminiscent of Rosy's taste for snails and slugs and makes me VERY GLAD we are now living in a "snail free" state.

    Bravo on the descriptive nature of the post Gail, I could almost hear the chewing and my stomach felt the result of the "fragrance"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nobby, I'm not so sure you look as though you enjoyed your forbidden snack. We saw a snail crawling across our terrace last night, but Carol said not to go near it. I didn't know they were such an edible delicacy. I wonder if it's still around, and dead, so I'll just pop out to take a look....
    We think Gail's tutor finds her writing a refreshing change from the usual reports of sightings of the lesser spotted something or other!
    Love,
    Paca xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stinky stuff : If it moves e at it, it doesnt roll in it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have inspired greatnesss in your mom. She can write about everything. Including pee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nobby you look so adorable on your little chair ~ for a little scamp ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We think Gail is a very gifted writer. She captures these things too well says Lady. We would give her an A+++ if we were grading. Lee and Phod

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it, especially the last sentence! (Snail odor sounds soooooo gross!)

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!