Thursday 20 July 2023

Intruders?


So no soon as I'd settled down back home in Aberdeen than Gail was loading up the car again and I quickly deduced from the bags she'd packed that we were heading off to the Torridon cottage.

Well you can imagine how, after the long drive back from Nottingham then another drive from east to west coast of Scotland, on arrival in Torridon I leapt out of the car like a coiled spring, raring to be off on an energetic romp in the hills.

Picture my consternation then, to find the cottage occupied by intruders. 

I was on the brink of deploying my terrier jaw to good effect when it became clear that these two were not in fact intruders, rather they were yet more friends of Gail's - Steve (ex-boyfriend from pre-historic times) and his wife Drusilla. And I was instructed to stop trying to shred Dru's pullover and sit patiently while the humans talked and talked and talked.

Sigh.

By morning, I was prepared to "pose nicely" with the guests (I am always calmer in the morning). 

A couple of hours later they departed and, finally, Gail dug out her walking boots and asked me if I felt up to the hike described below (text taken from the Walkhighlands website). 

Diabaig Coastal Circuit

A challenging coastal walk through spectacularly rugged and rocky scenery. The return route involves some road walking but the views are ample reward.

There is a path throughout, but it is rough and rocky and traverses steep ground in places and can be overgrown with bracken in the summer. This is a tougher walk than might be expected from the map - a real adventure.

She told me that my predecessor Bouncing Bertie had been scared at having to traverse big boulders on one particularly precipitous section of this walk but she assumed I would be up for the challenge.

Readers, tell me, was I ever in my life frightened or intimidated by a new adventure? 

I think by now you know me well enough to guess the answer...


16 comments:

  1. I know you're a roughie-toughie outdoor type, but you look so sweet and cuddly in your first photo, and not a scrap of mud anywhere.
    Your hike looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a hike Nobby. Now I am wondering if F could possibly lug my backpack around there. Your views are magnificent. Paw smacks Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  3. alas, I would have to wait at the car until you returned from this stunning place to walk and climb. You are always UP to whatever is UP for sure. Intruders included. I would love to walk beside you i the last photo. that is my kind of terrain

    ReplyDelete
  4. We know you'd never back down from a new adventure, Nobby, and a beautiful one at that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari Om
    Well Nobby, you aced that hike fur certain! Decent day, too. I aced my own pawtikyoular hike today... The new rollator saw me good for an hour's walk into and back from the Ribblehead viaduct!!! Hugs and wags YAM-aunty xxx (who is also relieved the inn has WiFi as absolutely no phone signal here)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nobby that was a spectacular walk, and what beautiful scenery. You are very lucky to have such fabulous walks.
    It's so hot here that we just about make it round the block before we melt, and head for the shade, and that's usually before the sun is up!
    Love,
    Paca xx
    P.S. I think you are very handsome xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nobby nice to know that you were ready to defend your home from intooders.
    I remember you and Gail visited Steve and Dru maybe was it last year?
    BOL nope not a fearful bone in your WFT DNA no matter the challenge you take it on full speed
    What gorgeous views...WOW
    Now for the definition of WFT

    W anderlust
    F ierce protector
    T rekking RU
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you were a good host to your guests, but we can tell you enjoyed going on that hike the best, Nobby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my Nobby, you are braver than we are too! Such a beautiful hike tho, and worth any obstacle!
    xoxo,
    Rosy & Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is why you shoujld have an alarm on the cabin door.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It would be shocking to find intruders at YOUR cottage. Glad that all worked itself out quickly and you were able to have a really good walk the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Nobby ~ sometimes ~ human's have their own agenda ~ glad you got out and about and Mom got glorious photos too.

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look at you go Nobby! Up for any adventure! And really, how disconcerting to find folks in your cottage! We are glad that it was all ok in the end!

    Rosie and Redford

    ReplyDelete
  14. You sure have an active life, Nobby! I don't know how you and Gail manage to do all of those hikes, especially on those rocky cliffs. Oh, and nice to meet your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that is a gorgeous place...hiking in spots like that sure means you have to be fit! And we're sure it keeps you fit, too.

    Enjoy your company!

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!