Monday 17 July 2023

Copybook blotted (C-A-T-S to blame...)


Janet and Nobby in Lathkill Dale

So we are safely back in Scotland now after a week long series of adventures in England's green and pleasant land. 

In my opinion (if not Gail's) my conduct was impeccable throughout the trip. 

For example, unlike my predecessor Bertie, I did not pee on the kitchen floor when we visited Gail's brother and family. And I was nice to poodle cousin Coco of course.

When we stayed with Gail's friend Janet, I made myself comfortable and sat quietly on her lap at every possible opportunity*. 

As always, I proved myself an excellent hiking companion.

I didn't even complain when we encountered monsoon-like conditions in Lathkill Dale, and I held my nerve during the ensuing thunder and lightening. 

Together with Gail, I paid a respectful visit to the churchyard where her parents are buried.

I was as good as gold in the car at all times. But then, I always have been.

So, you are wondering, what did I do wrong?

Well it is true that when we stayed overnight with her friends Bronia and Peter on the way home I barked quite a lot and repeatedly tried to jump all over my hosts. But what's a young terrier to do when he's detected the presence of C-A-T-S in a house? No matter that the C-A-T-S were kept in a different room, their proximity was very annoying.

I really did try to be helpful when Peter and Bronia were struggling with their complicated TV technology and couldn't locate the right channel for Gail to watch the day's Tour de France highlights, but apparently this did not mean I was forgiven for my "rowdy" behaviour. 

You just can't win, can you?

*Gail says: Nobby had, quite literally, to be prised off Janet's lap when the time came to leave her house and head back north.

13 comments:

  1. Nobby, even you can't be good ALL the time, and terriers and C-A-T-S often don't appreciate each other's finer points. I bet it's nice to be back on home territory, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    Well, Nobby, I fear that pawfekshun might even fall short as it, like beauty, may lie in the perception of the beholder! Still, I think it sounds as if you both had a most wonderfurs time. Hugs and wags YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, you're back at home already, that was a very quick holiday and you and Gail certainly packed a lot into it.
    You did very well, Nobby, in spite of the tantalising smell of cat, and their proximity. It's really unfair to tempt you so!
    Love,
    Carol xx who is instructing the new member of the household, Paca, in the art of blog responses. I'm deeply distressed that sadly the beautiful Amber has been returned to the shelter she came from, and is now living in the campo (countryside) with a lot of other dogs .A dog behaviourist assessed her and decided that she would be happier in a quiet place, away from urban life. Though I do wonder how life can be quiet with half a dozen dogs around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol, I hope that Amber has found a home that suits her temperament better and I'm looking forward to hearing more about (and from!) Paca. Cheers, Gail.

      Delete
  4. We are so happy to hear you were so good, and I say you were NICE not Naughty! I mean only a good dog loves to sit in laps in our book of rules. your friends should think about what if it were I the big Beau sat on their laps. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a perfect vacation, Nobby. You sure seemed to enjoy Janet's company and we can tell you were trying to help Peter out with their TV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you made a friend for life with Janet, Nobby! You sure do have the bestest vacations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet is very lucky to have you as her lap pal and you are very lucky Janet
    loves sharing her lap. Win Win
    Bryan has been watching TdF too. First 3 days were free viewing on USA channel then only streaming thru Peacock. We signed up for one month trial on Peacock for 3.99.
    You were a wonderful traveling and trekking pal. So well behaved. Coco seems to like you too.

    AS FOR THE CATS...their presence it obvious no matter if their bodies are not obvious. They use every flat service as a bed so I'm sure your WFT nose knew where they had been.

    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is definitely a very green and pleasant land that you have shared with us Nobby. As for laps, what else are they for? Some humans sit those silly flat computer things in their laps. They simply don't understand what they are missing out on. As for CATS and terriers (K9s in my book), I can understand why they don't mix. Someone brought a big police dog thing into my home once and I stayed well out of its way - even climbing to the top of the jasmine and getting stuck there when someone let it out into my (MY) garden. I had to yowl for ages before F found me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're sure that little bit of "bad" behavior is greatly outweighed by all of your excellent behavior, Nobby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you are a pretty awesome traveling companion, Nobby. Mama says your travel behavior reminds her of Angel Arty, always very friendly(and not wanting leave) to hosts but NOT to their cat presence.
    xoxo,
    Rosy and Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you did an excellent job on vacation. I know you had one bump in the road but cats are impossible to ignore

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness, you were so good for the whole trip, who can blame you for a little misbehaving when there are CATS involved!

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!