Wednesday 1 March 2023

When the cat's away...

On Thursday mornings, when Gail wheels her bicycle out of the porch...

...I wait for the front door to slam shut then jump on to the back of the sofa, my favourite vantage point, from where I can see her ride away up the road.

Secure in the knowledge that Gail won't be back for a few hours, I get to work.  

First I double check the kitchen floor, just in case I missed any food dropped earlier. 

If it's a bright day, I pause for a just moment to soak up the rays in my favourite sun puddle.

Then comes the serious business of the morning, the search for chewable items that Gail might have inadvertently left within reach. 

On one paw, this is getting easier as my always impressive jumping muscles strengthen further.

On the other paw, Gail's vigilance at trying to keep stuff hidden is improving. 

Normally, I can find at least a pen or pencil left lying around, and this provides excellent jaw exercise for up to half an hour.

This agreeable activity might be interrupted when I hear the one of my neighbours barking and I feel compelled to run out into the garden through my doggy door. Although I can't see my neighbours as the garden is surrounded by a granite wall, I can still enjoy a conversation with them - often quite lengthy. 

I might then satisfy a terrier urge to progress my 'tunnel to Australia' excavation project.

Next, paws all muddy,  it's back inside to look for another item to chew, or if that fails, perhaps a wee nap (and happy dreams of future mischief).

When the time comes for Gail to return from her bike ride, I take up position again on the sofa, and keep watch, remembering to put on my best guilt inducing 'sad abandoned dog' expression with which to greet Gail as she approaches the front door.  

15 comments:

  1. Just that look out the window as she is leaving should induce a mountain of guilt Nobby. You certainly have that look well practiced. I do the other... look away disdainfully. As in "well leave, you are going to anyway, so don't expect me to pretend to care". Paw smacks Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh the poor pupin the window.... how can she leave you when you look so sad? that is the reason the mama will close the doors to the living room, when she has to leave us for a moment... if she sees us through the window, she stops the car and 2 minutes later we are in the car too on the way to places where dogs are mostly not allowed... and the next 2 minutes later she regrets to have two wild monkey a board and she starts self reproaching, that she gave in and invited two hooligans to a car ride LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nobby, I'm impressed you are given the run of the house when Gail goes cycling! It seems that although you're alone you can manage quite a work-out, and still get out into the garden to find something to do. Could you learn to ride a bike and go with her?
    If Carol goes out and leaves me, I'm confined to the kitchen as she puts the burglar alarm on for all the other rooms, and just isolates the kitchen. We've had burglaries nearby and so we're being super-careful. She gives me lots of treats before she goes, then beats a hasty retreat while I'm still eating them. Doesn't make up for not going with her though!
    Love,
    Indy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Indy, Gail used to confine me to the kitchen, but since I reached the grand old age of one year old, she has gradually been increasing my in-house privileges. With (she would say) "mixed results".

      Delete
  4. I'm pleased to learn that you can have quite lengthy conversations with your neighbour. I'm sure everyone enjoys listening. Maybe Gail will get a doggy pannier so that you can accompany her on her jaunts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bow and I are really impressed with what you do in your alone time. He has that said pup please take me with you are you leaving me behind look and follows us to the door and Waze to see if we will give in and sometimes he taps his harness and says please put that on me and let me go with you. But then he lives by the door and wait for us to come back but he is almost 10 years old so that makes a big difference. You do look so sad and so absolutely adorable sitting in the window I started to sing the whole song how much is that doggie in the window the one with the waggly tail

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you have a blast while Gail is out, Nobby. I sleep in my bed when my mom is out and wait for her to return. I know - boring, right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nobby you have created the purrfect 'cat is away project'. I did however
    see one issue. If per chance you have been out on an archeological dig to
    Australia, in the damp soil of Aberdeen, I suggest you find a place to wipe you paws before you jump on the back of Gail's couch.
    Just sayin' my handsome WFT friend who looks quite adorable no matter the state of your paws
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure do your best to give Gail a case of the guilts with your look out the window, Nobby. At least you can have some fun digging your tunnel and talking to the neighbors. Too bad Gail doesn't buy one of those pet trailers that can be attached to the back of her bike so you could go along.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another well done, Nobby for making creative use of what might otherwise be idle hours! Best of luck on the tunnel to Australia project. When I was a child in Indiana, we always said we were "digging to China." These days Australia seems a much wiser destination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby, keep working on that Antipodean Tunnel, mate; it might come in handy one day... (not that Gail needs to know I encouraged such behaviour, mind...........) Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a tunnel too Nobby? Our tunnel to Siberia could be re-routed and we could meet up somewhere, right? Let's make a plan!

    Your friends Rosie and Redford

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like quite the busy routine Nobby, and with the practiced "sad eyes" we bet she totally ignores all the muddy paw prints!
    xoxo,
    Rosy & Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  13. You don't know nuthin" you been sitting on the couch the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to have a camera to watch Oscar when I go out - he always look at me longingly from the window... but then maybe he's just waiting to be alone and have a fabulous time sniffing through everything in the house!

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!