Wednesday 14 December 2022

Montmorency or The Grinch?

Our dear blog friend Cecilia recently provided Gail with this (photoshopped) image, apparently thinking it particularly appropriate to a certain wire-haired fox terrier. 

What me, the Grinch? The one who 'Stole Christmas' ? I just can't imagine why anyone might see a connection. 

Gail thinks he might at least be a better role model than my own hero, fictional fox terrier 'Montmorency'. 

In the classic English comic novel 'Three Men in a Boat' it is observed, with reference to Montmorency and his behaviour, that "fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs are..."

Respect, Montmorency!

Oh. Gail tells me that the Grinch, unlike Montmorency, does at least learn the error of his ways, and she hopes that one day I will too.

But here I must offer an alternative view. What Gail regards as an expensive misdemeanour committed last week when her attention was elsewhere during our visit to Dunoon ...

...I see as me providing Gail with a kind and thoughtful prompt to go for a long overdue eye test and order a more flattering pair of glasses with an up to date prescription.

Misdemeanour? I think not.

15 comments:

  1. fox terriers and glasses are connected somehow... our whft did 7 including the precious one of da granny ;O) we have this 3 mean in a boat story too, but there is a dachshund with the guys....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Nobby, it seems WFT's have a bad press this morning! You must have very strong teeth to wreak such damage to Gail's glasses, but we look forward to seeing her new pair. She hasn't really got an excuse now has she?
    Love,
    Indy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You BIT that? Crikey you make strange choices of things to crunch! Still on the bright side you have, as you say, provided a reminder that you couldn't put in writing and post on the fridge. (In our house there are two pairs of reading glasses in every room and spares in the sideboard, you'd be crunching for days.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nobby - jus thinkin - perhaps you shouldn't argue the naughty or nice, but instead go for something grand....like Noble Nobby. You have done some nobly good deeds lately that have been wildly misinterpreted. Paw smacks Mr T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noble Nobby? I like it! And I should point out that I really did do a good deed as Gail is supposed to go for an eye test every year due to glaucoma in her family, but she can be negligent about this (despite eye tests being free in Scotland).

      Delete
  5. BOL BOL BOL Nobby personally I think your WFT face was a tremendous improvement over the Grinch's sinister face.
    If you have a stocking hanging by the chimney with care, you might wanna have lessen expectance for it being filled to the brim with doggie goodness. As for the design you gave Gail's glasses is it quite artistic.
    I agree with Tigger Noble Nobby for sure.
    Please Tell Gail, Bryan and I got a real giggle out of No Gail No.
    Thank you for you kind words on my name. One thing for certain I was always the only one with that name in elementary school. When I started High School there were two of us.
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do make a cute Grinch, Nobby, but we don't think it was wise to try to eat Gail's glasses. It was nice of you to force her to get that much needed eye test though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently read an article on BBC online (related to the 125th anniversary of the author's birth) that Enid Blyton's books have had to be sanitised for their "many disturbing references"––of which I am certain her reference to Montmorency and his behavior is one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Opps, it appears I've talked about the wrong author! Perhaps I should be more observant! In my defense (haha) the covers (Five on Treasure Island) are similar. If only I could tell a 5 from a 3!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make a very cute Grinch, Nobby, but eating Gail's glasses isn't nice. We hope that Santa skips over this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh Nobby....although you had the best intentions, not even I have chewed on glasses.....yet. Again...you are very cute and we are sure that was taken into consideration when punishments were doled out.
    xoxo,
    Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Surely you're not to blame for the broken glasses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail says: I'm afraid Nobby was caught in the act...

      Delete
  12. Wow! You did a number on those glasses! But you were just helping out Gail, right? She needs new glasses so she can see how gorgeous you are Nobby!

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!