Wednesday 21 September 2022

A change of regime

What dog lover did not feel a twinge of sadness at the sight of of the late Queen's corgis, Muick and Sandy, watching the Monday's funeral procession at Windsor?

Sadness turned to deepest sympathy when Gail later read that Muick and Sandy are now in the joint custody of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson...

Meanwhile, there is a change of regime at Buckingham Palace!

It was well known how Queen Elizabeth adored the corgi breed, and I've no complaints about that. Each to their own etc. But I admit I am delighted to report our new King and Queen Consort are, in my humble opinion, much closer to the mark in their preference for Jack Russell Terriers.

As we all know, life is merrier with a terrier! 

About three years ago, Gail and a fellow Plantlife volunteer were out at the Balmoral estate conducting a wild flower monitoring survey. As they were being driven down a forest track by one of the estate rangers they passed Camilla out walking her beloved JRTs Beth and Bluebell (both rescue animals from Battersea Dogs' Home).  Camilla gave a cheery wave before she strode on down the track. She was wearing wellies, a well worn Barbour jacket and slightly muddy leggings and Gail says she looked entirely happy, relaxed and in her element. 

We wish King Charles and Queen Camilla all the best in their long anticipated new roles, and hope they still can find time, every now and then, to escape from the pomp and circumstance in London and relax with their dogs at their Scottish estate. 
 
Meanwhile I, Nobby, am happily imagining the mayhem that might result from two Jack Russells rampaging around Buck House...

PS from Gail: I absolutely promise to those suffering from monarchy overload that this will be final word on the UK's Royal Family for a good while on this blog, but I've just found a picture of King Edward VII's beloved wire fox terrier 'Caesar' taking pride of place behind the coffin in the King's funeral procession in 1910.  Reportedly, Kaiser Wilhelm II of the German Empire was annoyed at a 'mere dog' being given such precedence!


14 comments:

  1. the part with the dogs and the horse Emma was probably the one what brought tears to the eyes of efurrybuddy... sigh.... we wish king charles and camilla all the best and also all the best to da royal terriers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sad, but also glad to see the Queen's corgis and one of her horses included. It is officially the end of an era for Corgis at BP, but every time I think of King Charles and his dogs, I am reminded of a word said many times by people I know since the Queen died... "spaniel" however I doubt there will ever be even one at Buckingham Palace to join Beth and Bluebell, and our current King and Queen Consort have yet to discover the wonders of a WFT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, JRT's! Love them. My MJF was a JRT, how I do miss that rascal.
    I almost succumbed to a puppy on Tuesday...but hubby would have a cow if we were a three pup family...BOL!
    Well, at least us pups here are terriers, albeit of unknown heritage!

    Those Corgis, I sure hope they find love and lots of comfy nests in their new home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My human and I hope that Emma, Sandy and Muick are loved and well looked after in their new home. We're sure they will be, as they were a gift and are now returned to the people who gifted them.
    It's good that the new King and his Consort have chosen to have rescue dogs from Battersea. We hope that it will set a good example to everyone.

    Love,
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing the Queen's Corgis and her horse at the funeral brought out the tears and it's wonderful to know that Muick and Sandy will be loved in their new home. The King and Queen consort look very happy with their JRT's. Love the pearl necklaces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nobby,
    Life is merrier when you know a terrier no matter how far away it lives!!
    BOL BOL pearl necklace for all occasions. Here in Raleigh there is all girls College. Often those majoring sciences often took advanced science class at NCSU. All at NCSU recognized them by their pearl necklaces that they wore even with sweatshirts.
    I did feel sad for the beloved Corgis. I hope Muick and Sandy will keep their new households in check (and we all know that will take lots of work).
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. We also felt sadness as we watched Muick and Sandy at the funeral, and we hope they are happy in their new homes!
    xoxo,
    Rosy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nobby, I do appreciate all the excellent Royal Family posts. Your new header photo is so beautiful; you look quite deep in thought.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was nice to see the dogs and one of her horses included in the spectators during the funeral. We hope the new canine residents enjoy their new home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, we think that after 70 years as Queen, and clearly being a dog lover and instilling that in future generations (We know the new Prince and Princess of Wales have dogs as well), a little extra Queen and monarch time is deserved. Lee and Phod who are excited to be visiting on a work night!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby, as I managed to be otherwise engaged, that was all news to me. Those poor corgis... though I admit some small delight that the JRTs are rescues.

    Meanwhile I fume at the fact Blogger yet again was so tardy bringing your post to me! I love the new banner up top; you are starting to look as if you properly own the place. Settling into your role, as Charlie 3 must do. Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought the lone horse standing along the route was very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. first things first, LOVE LOVE LOVE the new photo of you in the header. You will smile when you see Beaus post today, seems the two of you have similar thoughts. I have 2 posts today and one more coming up and I too will be done witht he monarchy. for now anyway. wow on meeting up with Cimilla. that just made me think of a maybe post . oh no... my upcoming post, tomorrow I think lists the moments that brought me to tears during the funereal. horses and dogs of course they did

    ReplyDelete
  14. We like corgis, but know a few Jack russells and LOVE them! They are NUTS just like us huskies!

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!