Monday 19 September 2022

Developing the independent terrier spirit...



I am so happy that it was on Friday when Gail and her friend Tess took me for a Torridon hill walk.

And not on Saturday.

However, I do have one small confession to make, relating to our otherwise perfect Friday outing.

Perhaps you can see that Gail is holding tightly onto my lead here on the hill, and giving me a stern talking to...

But it's hardly my fault, is it, if a small flock of sure-footed black sheep suddenly appeared out of nowhere on the ridge of the hill (in a place where Gail has never ever seen livestock before) and just as I was having fun roaming free and sniffing around in the heather, those sheep came past, heading for the precipitously rocky side of the hill. So suddenly I heard cries of "come Nobby, come! COME!!!!" and detected a note of panic in Gail's voice. 

Was it really necessary for me to come right away, my adolescent brain wondered. The yearning for a taste of independence is common to all youngsters when they reach a certain age, right? And, this was a great place to explore, and surely Gail would calm down in a minute or two. I was well away from the sheep and was certainly not minded to do anything stupid like follow them over a cliff edge. 

But the shouts just got louder, and so, remembering that she probably still had some treats in her pocket, I trotted back up the slope to where Gail was standing with Tess, both of them looking very anxious but also relieved to see me. 

I would like to have comforted them with the thought that it is only right and proper for a pup of nearly eight months old to start to 'test the boundaries'. Surely, Gail should be more worried if I was not developing my independent terrier spirit?

13 comments:

  1. wow that sheep huh? da phenny had a horse-venture last weekend and let's say that I love the leash-less time while he is the one dog prisoners choir of nabuco....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just signed in huge relief that you cam when called and did not follow those sheep. I hope you listened to Gails Stern Talk and will not try that again. Magnifcent views behind you and Gail and glad you had a good day and not a rainy one. I just though while watching Queen Elizabeths funeral what beautiful weather and so happy it did not rain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There would be a lot of people in London very happy that it did not rain today!

      Delete
  3. Nobby dag gone sheep it was all their fault. Obviously they were in the wrong place not you. I'm very thankful you had nose over mind and decided there was a hint of treat in the air.
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're glad to hear you came back to Gail and didn't keep following the sheep. Around here we are never allowed to be off leash. It's against the law in most every park and town. At least we have a big back yard to explore off leash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew! You had us very worried for a minute there, Nobby. Thankfully, treats were in her pocket!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite spectacular scenery, especially in that second photo.
    That was very sensible of you to (eventually) return to Gail's side, Nobby. It shows that all Gail's hard work training you has not been in vain.
    When you get to my age (I'll be 13 next month) you won't bother with running off - you'll just be glad to be left to nap in peace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darn sheep! I also blame them and think you did a great job of leaving them alone and coming back.....eventually.
    xoxo,
    Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi friend, Ojo here! Good job testing your Gail's ability to keep her cool and to remember to carry treats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a teenager now Nobby and of course you are going to test the boundaries! We are just impressed that you did come back! We would have chased those sheep all the way to Siberia!

    Rosie and Redford

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know you scared your mom, and were acting through instinct, but it is good you came when called.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes, what a major distraction...but your Mum with the treats iis more impawrtant, right??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby... yet another post that slipped under the YAMdar... ggrrrrrr I am going to have rearrange my approach.

    That aside, I am glad you listened to Gail - eventually. Following sheep has all sorts of complications attached. Staying close is sure to bring you many more rewards. Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!