Wednesday 7 August 2024

Where were the whippets?

On Saturday night Gail and I stayed in a small hotel located at the edge of Kirkcaldy, about a twenty minute drive from where the agility contest was taking place.

The town of Kirkcaldy is best known as the birthplace of Scottish Enlightenment philosopher/ economist Adam Smith (he of 'Wealth of Nations' fame) and it was also once a leading centre for the manufacture of linoleum.

I'm not boring you am I ??

The hotel staff were super-friendly, and happily served Gail with an early evening pie and chips and a half pint of Stella before the kitchen closed ahead of a 'function' later that evening.

If you think I am looking disapproving here, well yes I most certainly am! We don't want Gail to turn into a tub of lard do we, just when my agility career is taking off. I bet Keely Hodgkinson didn't wolf down a large plateful of Scottish 'health food' before her gold medal winning performance in the 800 meters in Paris on Monday night...

After dinner we went for a wander around a nearby park, and I was disappointed to learn that I had missed the weekly meeting of the Kirkcaldy Whippet Racing Club.

What a shame there were no whippets around. For sure they would have been impressed by my turn of speed.
(Gail says perhaps not).

Then, just before bed, I went to say hello to these colourful guys in the hotel courtyard. 

It turns out the the 'function' in the hotel was a karaoke night in the bar directly below our room. We could hear it all quite clearly. What fun! I decided to join in, my voice being at least as tuneful as most of the 'singers' performing downstairs.

In the morning, I'm sorry to report that Gail was not quite her usual sunny-tempered self...

15 comments:

  1. whfts have such a talent for all special events! we hope you barked standing ovations for a good performance from karaoke.... my parents once had to leave an open air theatre... always when the crowd applauded the whft barked like crazy..... as they brought a horse to the stage the chaos was perfect and they had to go.. now they have no clue how the wilhelm tell drama ends..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    Well Nobby, I think I might have resorted to putting on the earphones for the duration. I wonder if we can persuade Gail to update your transport to a campervan?! Hugs and wags YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail made the serious mistake of forgetting to pack some earplugs...

      Delete
  3. I like your new header, Nobby.
    Karaoke is not the best lullaby music, it must be said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't sleep a wink with any kind of noise, especially music, it drives me crazy. and you do not want to meet me when I am minus sleep, cranky on steroids. a TV talking or a chainsaw outside the window or the dumb Cuban frog that sits on the edge of our rain barrel and can be heard a mile away. I once went out at midnight to smash him, but could not. scared him off by walking over and lookintg at him. but he was back by the time I got back in bed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer that you don't get to run with the Whippets, Nobby! Gail's meal looks pretty good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great reporting Nobby. I laughed at Scottish health food. Shame there were no whippets - I suspect they were all at the campground we visited last weekend - whippets everywhere. They alway look such nervous and 'put upon' k9s and have nothing on your sunny outlook on life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nobby I must say Gail deserved a nice meal it gave her the needed fuel to keep up with you. There was once a whippet in our neighborhood....they are pretty fast...but I expect you would give them a run for their money.
    That is a most interesting white bird with patches of blue. It looks like a cloud
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. We think those whippets would have been impressed by your speed considering your legs are much shorter than theirs are. It's too bad you and Gail didn't go down and participate in the karaoke night. We're sure everyone would have been impressed by your singing, Nobby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting stay you had Nobby. Such pretty birds, and we just know you could show a whippet a thing or two.

    Mama did get a giggle about the karaoke keeping you entertained and Gail awake...Mama has had a few of those "not so sunny mornings" during her dog/hotel travels too.

    xoxo,
    Rosy & Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scottish Health Food is for *after* the win, silly Nobby. I bet all the winners of metal and ribbons celebrate with delicious chow, just as Gail has!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi hi hi! Ojo here! I wish Dogs were allowed in restaurants here! You are so lucky! Also, I'm sure any whippets would be impressed with your speed and stamina!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You live a most amazing life. I with there were more places to eat in our area that allowed dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We think 3rd is a good place. Did you know 2nd place (silver winners) are the least happy winners? They even live less time apparently. So 3rd is better than 2. Lee and Phod who have no medals and have never stayed in a hotel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Too bad you missed the whippet race because you could have gave them a run for their money!! And we are jealous you get to go to restaurants---our mom noticed that when she was in London that dogs were everywhere! Not so here and we would love to share a french fry!

    Rosie and Redford

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!