Sunday 28 January 2024

Birthday Boy, Burns Night, and "Be more Nobby"

Nobby's birthday haggis
Haggis, neeps and tatties

Readers can be forgiven for not realising it was my birthday on Thursday and I have now reached the grand age of two years old. After all, it seems my owner Gail had barely noticed.

You would have thought that, given the choice between spending the morning playing with her favourite pet and giving him birthday treats, or joining her friends for a cold damp bicycle ride to Monymusk and back, she would have chosen the former. But you would be wrong.

Recognising that I share my birthday with Scotland's greatest poet, you would have thought Gail would arrange for a special canine-focussed Burns Supper for yours truly, with bagpipes, haggis, an Address to the Bitches and a recitation of 'The Twa Dogs'. But that also was not to be. 

It is true I was given a hasty bowl of the traditional haggis, neeps and tatties before Gail abandoned me again to attend a live screening from the National Theatre of a play called 'Dear England'.

'Yes you read that right. She went to see a play titled 'Dear England' on Burns Night in Scotland!!!

I will admit, when Gail told me the play was about the England football team under their current manager Gareth Southgate and it featured a whole scene celebrating my namesake, 1960s footballer, Nobby Stiles, I felt a bit less aggrieved.  Especially when I learnt that this scene has the team all dancing to a chant of 'Be more Nobby'.*

'Be more Nobby!'

You don't get that in Shakespeare...

*Gail says: I rather doubt that the 'Be more Nobby' thing will be comprehensible to most readers of this blog and to be honest I'm not sure I'm up to attempting a full explanation. Let's just say it's about expressing one's feelings in an unselfconscious manner, not worrying too much about how you look. If you watch from 3:40 to 3:50 of this video (click here) you might get the idea! The play, incidentally, was hugely enjoyable - witty, original, warm-hearted, and at times surprisingly touching.

14 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    Well, Nobby... you have my belated and deepest congratulations and felicitations on having attained your second anniversary of life!!! I am glad that you at least got the traditional feast. It seems that Gail has no remorse for letting the occasion pass in an otherwise somewhat uncermonious manner. Still, I am glad she felt that the sacrifice of your company on the auspicious evening was worth the making. Hugs and wags, YAM[-aunty xxx (from a Hutch which is once again being buffeted by gales and looks out on dark-grey, cloud-wrapped hills...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We feel that birthdays are MOST important and that looks like a fine meal that Gail served you for your special day, Nobby. Happy 2nd Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if this happens again, ask Gail to ask the person in charge of the play to move it to another night. I am thinking you can not be more Nobby than you are.. Happy Birthday Dear Nobby.... I am off to search out what haggis, neeps and tatties is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! We're glad to hear you did get a proper birthday meal on your big day, Nobby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMDs Nobby there are great things to celebrate on January 25.
    I had no idea you were named after a great player Nobby Stiles or shared you bday with the great poet Mr. Burns. Personally I think you are doing an excellent job of Being Nobby. YOu had a fine Scottish birthday supper too.
    Happy 2nd bday of being the best Nobby we know!!
    Cecilia and Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think haggis, neeps and tatties is a fine birthday meal and I bet you slept soundly after. You're well named after Nobby Stiles - he was a terrier of a player (and I don't even like football!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happt belated birthday to you, Nobby! It looks like you had a wonderful dinner. Yummy!
    Grandson Ryan is into playing sports, and especially likes soccer. We'll have to tell him about Nobby Stiles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday. I have an inkling this "Be more Nobby" thing could really catch onl

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a very tasty birthday bowl, Nobby. Happy Birthday to you and please continue to be more Nobby!!!

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy happy birthday dear nobby!!! and what a fam birthday menu... we would love to try that once...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Belated Birthday to YOU, Nobby!!

    Haggis?? We'll pass, the humans here, that is...us pups might want to try it...never seen it come through our doorway, and petcretary says she's never seen it in stores here...hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belated 2nd birthday greetings Nobby! At least you did have a special birthday dinner to mark the occasion.
    I can't wait to see it Carol will give me a special meal, and her company, on my 9th birthday, but that isn't until April, so I shall start reminding her in March!
    Love,
    Paca xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday, friend! Did you know that you're now Adult Dog? This is both a good thing and a bad thing, BOL. Your birthday dinner looks great, did you save me any?

    ReplyDelete
  14. We wish you a VERY happy belated birthday Nobby! That birthday dinner looks so good that we think you should forgive Gail for her transgression!

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!