Wednesday 20 December 2023

Delayed gratification at Christmas?


So first I reminded Gail that I have been a (relatively) Good Boy lately  and then I asked her what she was thinking of giving me for Christmas. 

She replied thus. "OK Nobby, since you were so compliant this year about wearing Bouncing Bertie's Nordic Snowflake jumper and posing nicely in the window front of our little tree, I am thinking about knitting you your very own sweater for next Christmas, so you don't have to wear Bertie's hand-me-downs."

I'm pretty confident that my readers, like me, will find her answer at best unsatisfactory, at worst, distinctly Scrooge like.

Christmas is not the season for delayed gratification, am I right? 

Sensing my disgruntlement, Gail continued.

"You know Nobby, I think we in the West all have too much stuff and I'd prefer to give you an experience you will remember and enjoy, and not some toy you will surely shred within five minutes of receiving."

Did you ever hear such a pile of virtue-signalling poppycock? I asked what sort of experience she had in mind anyway. 

"Well Nobby, I know how much you love visiting your relatives. So later today I am taking you for a two week holiday to Craigmancie Farm, and you will get to spend Christmas and New Year rampaging around the house and farmyard with your extended fox terrier family. Won't that be just splendid?"
(photo from Nobby's last stay at Craigmancie Farm) 

It pains me to admit it, but Gail might be right about this being a splendid way of ending the year. What's more, Gail is going to stay with her friend Marse in Tacoma (near Seattle) and I do believe that Marse's dog DB is very badly behaved. So I have high hopes of Gail returning home with renewed appreciation of my winning ways.

Happy Christmas to all our dear friends! This blog is now on a break until at least 5th January. 

16 comments:

  1. Gosh Nobby, what a splendid Christmas you will have with your relatives! I shall be on my own for a few hours when Carol goes off to Christmas Lunch with friends. I don't know why she can't take me, but she says dogs are not allowed. Imagine that - choosing a place that isn't dog friendly!
    We wish you and all your readers a very Happy Christmas and all the best for 2024.
    Love,
    Paca xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a new sweater is a wonderful idea and one that will last you a lifetime, Nobby. Have fun with your friends at Craigmancie Farm and we hope Gail has a great time with her friends. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a holiday with your extended family will be wonderful, Nobby. Gail will have a lovely holiday with her friend, knowing that you are in safe hands. Happy Christmas to you both and a peaceful and healthy 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nobby, I laughed at your take on Gail's parsimonious and rather unexciting Christmas gift idea....Have fun with your rollicking companions and safe travels to Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! that is some family to be staying with, I am wondering how the keeper of all of you has the nerve to have that many high flying, running, jumping pups.. I am pondering just why Gail would leave cold/rainy Scotland to spend vacation in Cold/rainy Seattle, it is the Scotland of USA I hear. Hope she find time to knit you your own jumper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    Well Nobby, I think that is really rather a fine present... and as absence makes the heart grow fonder has consistently been proven as true, I expect that not just Gail, but you too will be more appreciative on her return! (...pawhaps...) Both of you have a wonderfurs time now, y' hear? You'll be missed here in Blogville and so we will be the third party of appreciation on your return!!! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gail has clearly studied psychology - offer something disappointing and follow it up with news that she is going away for the festive season.... the holiday with your relatives is doubly positively appealing after that buildup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nobby, you're looking very handsome in Bertie's jumper. I'm sure you'll have a splendid time at the farm and I will be glad when you return and share your tales of adventure. . A very Merry Christmas to you and Gail and happy travels as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do look cute in the holiday jumper, Nobby. We hope you have a great time with your family on the farm and Gail has a wonderful time in Tacoma with her friend. Merry Christmas to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your time with relatives Nobby, and we hope Gail enjoys herself on this side of the pond!
    Merry Christmas!!
    xoxo,
    Rosy & Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy cow Nobby! That group of friends will make it such a great holiday for you! We know you will miss Gail, but absence makes the heart grow fonder, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Nobby I know you are enjoying making memories with you siblings.
    I got a real giggle out of the pillow in the chair. How can one relax with that many WFT's
    Gail I hope your trip over the pond went well. I heard there was a hiccup in the UK with travel due to a labor strike.
    Sending good and happy wishes for your wonderful visit with Marse and family and friends.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Merry Christmas Nobby and Gail. Enjoy your holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merry Christmas!
    Nobby we hope you are having a woofingly fun time with your relatives!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi hi hi! Ojo here! Merry Christmas! Happy New Year! Happy fun time with extended family and friends!

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!