Wednesday 13 December 2023

A bit more ginger...?

Rupert

Rupert and Nobby

Have you ever noticed, on the photos of my monthly walks with the Aberdeenshire fox terrier gang, that the furs on my big brother Rupert's ears and face are a deeper and more vibrant rusty colour compared with my own more muted shades? 

I've often rather envied him this.

It is well known that I am not one to miss an opportunity. 

When Gail took me for a walk along the River Dee near Banchory, on a rainy afternoon earlier this week, I decided to go exploring in the woods. I slipped through a fence and and found something very interesting so I ignored Gail's increasingly panicky calls.

When I eventually reemerged, it seems Gail did not recognise me right away. Then it was:

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO YOUR BEARD NOBBY!!!"

Back home, she immersed my head repeatedly in a bucket of water, but later still complained that I was ruining her attempts at a Christmas card photo with my Prince Harry-esque facial fur tint...

PS from Gail: I have no idea what Nobby found in the woods. At least it didn't smell, and does not seem to have harmed him. I'll admit I was panicking when he was out of sight because, after recent incessant rainfall, the river had become a torrent and I was terrified he might somehow have fallen in and been swept away. Plus, it was around 3:30 pm and getting dark. So I was pretty relieved to see Nobby, despite his newly acquired and rather alarming 'glow in the dark' beard colouring.

17 comments:

  1. wow that was something interesting you found there... it's a secret, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nobby you are a little devil, but never mind - it will come out in the wash!
    Love,
    Paca xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail says: actually, the colour's proving remarkably hard to shift!

      Delete
  3. I can't stop laughing at Nobby's new look. Perhaps it will gradually fade . . . I take it he's none the worse for wear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail replies: He seems fine and thankfully the colour is slowly fading!

      Delete
  4. You got your wish for a deeper and more vibrant rusty color, Nobby. Is that an orange you have in your mouth? I hope the staining washes out with time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favourite yellow squeaky ball Molly.

      Delete
  5. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby... I hate to ask this, but were you sniffing a ewe's behind? That looks suspiciously like tupping marker... or maybe you were sniffing the underparts of the tup himself? Or the farmer forgot to take his bucket back... Anyway, that's you decorated for Christmas and you will definitely stand out at the next WFT meet! Hugs and wags YAM-aunty xxx (who has every sympathy for Gail and the palpitations she will have felt!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail says: I agree the substance could be tupping marker. (It had a faint sweet smell, and was a bit sticky - does this seem right?) But we were a long, long way from any sheep, beside the river and deep in Forestry territory. Nobby is always kept firmly on his lead in sheep territory. It's just possible I supposed that someone had left a bucket of the stuff lying around and Nobby stuck his nose in it.

      Delete
    2. Hari OM
      Oh yes - marker contains a lot of Beeswax... Yxx

      Delete
  6. I have often wondered if when you are with all that pack of dogs, if everyone took off the harness and had them all NUDE, could you pick Nobby out of the pack? right now you sure could. I am glad he is ok, and really would like to know what he got into. i burst into laughter at the Prince Harry look, he truly does resemble PH..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nobby OMDs did you find a patch of ginger growing in the Forest? I say what happens in the forest stays in the forest right.
    BOL BOL BOL at YAM's comment.
    Gail I expect I'd be a bit panicked too given the time.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. We thiunk you look very dashing with your deep ginger beard Nobby!!
    xoxo,
    Rosy & Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is quite a makeover you gave yourself, Nobby. We too thought it might be the stuff that farmers use to mark sheep that have been bred.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is QUITE a bright yellow color, we wonder what the heck you got into, Nobby! We think it looks cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sure you were scared. Nobby, don't scare mommy. You look like a viking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, now that was an interesting way to gewt even with Rupert. What a rascal you are!! Was it some kind of plant you rubbed yourself in?? It made petcretary giggle, though. Glad it wasn't anything nasty.

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!