Wednesday 8 November 2023

Why winter tyres?

Well I'm not complaining, because Gail drove me in the car to her garage, and while nice Phil was fitting her winter tyres we went for a walk up to the University of Aberdeen campus. In the time it took for me to pose in front of buildings old and new, the car was made ready for the snow and ice.

King's College Chapel (c.1500)

Sir Duncan Rice Library (2012)

But I do wonder why the need to spend money (which could be used for dog treats) on preparing the car for the sort of wintery conditions which are these days not so often experienced in Scotland.

Gail points out that our Torridon cottage is located at the bottom of a 15% gradient hill with sharp bends, and in a part of the world where everyone knows everyone else's business, she doesn't want to find fame as the idiot who had to be rescued because her car didn't have the right tyres and so it slipped off the road when there was just a sprinkling of snow and a small patch of ice! 

I guess that's reasonable.

PS from Gail: readers might have noticed some rather blurry photos of late. A couple of months ago my phone camera started refusing to focus in certain situations and I still can't work out why.

11 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    Well, Nobby, better safe than sorry, what? And at risk of causing a storm, I must say I really like the Rice building!!! Hugs and wags YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that library and glad we don't need winter tires, but I know a lot of people who do and it is smart to get them on. Nobby she is keeping you safe from auto accidents. when I have a problem with my phone, I google search by typing my phone type and what the problem is. it almost always takes me to the answer on youtube or just tells me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re phone focus - join the club. It might be phone manufacturers way of making sure we upgrade if they can't force us to do it for any other reason. (Cynical view.) Nobby you enhance the views of those buildings admirably.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gail is right. You must be prepared in the winter! You sure are posing with beautiful buildings, Nobby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Nobby I 187% agree with Gail. We don't have freezing and slip sliding weather too often but when you do YOU NEED to be prepared. I event bought Bryan and I some trek things to fit over our shoes. Our house faces the north. Any freezing weather is there furEVER and getting to the grassy area to navigate downhill could be dicey
    I wish I could help on the phone photos. I'm still learning mine phone's camera. My Nikon is 12+ years old I need to be ready
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. We always need winter tires around here. That reminds us, we need to tell our mom to get her winter tires on soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No winter tyres needed here in the soft south. Something to counteract the mud would be better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even here in New Mexico, we winterize both the pawrents cars and CeCe.
    Daddy's motto is "better safe than in a ditch somewhere"!
    xoxo,
    Rosy & Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  9. After seeing the narrow roads in the UK, our mom understands how one might need great tires in the wintertime! And you got a little adventure out of it Nobby, so it's all good. And we are sure Gail still has a bit of money left over for dog treats!

    Rosie and Redford

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, yes, here in Michigan we know all too well about the winter messes and dangers. Glad you're prepared, even if you only need them once, they paid for themselves!
    Maybe if you save everything on your phone to 'the cloud' and reset it to 'factory new, that might reboot all the settings for your camera so it will function better for you? That is kind of a pain, but it may just help. Unless of course there is some other kind of internal damage.

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!