Wednesday 25 October 2023

Agility progress - like a seesaw?


It seems to me that readers are due an update on my progress in agility training. 

Well of course, in my estimation, I am getting along fabulously. The fact that I have heard Gail use words like 'wayward' and 'highly erratic' and 'lacking in focus' when telling her friends how I've been doing can safely be ignored.

Now that the evenings are dark, the weekly Deeside Dog Agility training sessions take place indoors in a big barn. So many interesting corners to explore! 

And I do love jumping over the obstacles - the jumps, the 'A' frame, the tunnel...
Yes of course I understand that, officially, one is supposed to run through and not climb over the tunnel but they do say variety is the spice of life, don't they?

I am not keen on this weaving through a line of poles business. As far I'm concerned, the only good Pole is a Lowland Sheepdog (a.k.a. PON) or a young person who recently voted against the Law and Justice Party...

I digress.

Gail says she wishes I would follow the example of one of my goody-two-shoes handsome and high performing training buddies, Harrison the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, he who lacks creativity always obeys his handlers' instructions. Who has a ten syllable breed name anyway? Actually eleven if you say it Sco-ti-a.

Last week I was introduced to the seesaw for the first time and, so long as it was locked in a fixed position, I was quite happy to run up the ramp (did I mention I like climbing on things?)

Then our trainer Miree made a small adjustment and the seesaw moved just a little when I got half way up. Eeeek!

NO WAY was I again going near something that shifts under my paws. What if it signalled an earthquake, an avalanche or a landslide?

Miree was sympathetic and told Gail that terriers in particular tend to be seesaw averse. She gave us some homework that involved Gail rigging up a board that wobbles so I could practice standing on it. 

How do you think I did?

14 comments:

  1. oooh da wobble bord... we got one too... we never ever put a paw on that thingy... and finally da dad misused it for something outside with many duct tape...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    Well, Nobby, I hope you are brining your new practice board with you on the visit to the Hutch? I am very impressed at this first goes and think yout may get the hang of it yet! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing pretty well, Nobby. It's worth the extra treats . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness Nobby, are you expecting earthquakes in Aberdeen any time now? Not sure I'd like to try the wobble board, and I hope the video hasn't given Carol any ideas. On this morning's walk we were practising my no-pull on the lead as shown on "Dogs Behaving (Very) Badly" on TV. I think I did quite well until we met up with the two Westie (terrors) who live opposite. They pull on their leads and get them all tangled up. I just wanted to keep away, so it was better to walk quietly by Carol's side! It's most annoying though - she keeps forgetting to bring treats!
    Love
    Paca xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing terrific on that wobble board, Nobby, and those high leaps are very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those bounces should win any agility contest Nobby - forget boring old seesaws

    ReplyDelete
  7. wobble on, dear Nobby, great job and what fun. also burns up the Energy Levels. when Beaus dad was going to rehab, they made him stand on a board just like this and try to balance on it, this was to get his balance back.. what a clever way to make a wobble board... don't be chewing up that book. BOL
    O

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nobble I don't like wiggly wobbly surfaces either. WOW WTG you conquered the mini see saw. I bet you'll be a champ on the big one.
    BOL BOL seems you march to the beat of your own drummer when it comes following the lead of others...and you free to be you!
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  9. We think you are doing great. It's okay if it takes you a bit longer to figure out some things than it does the other dogs. You did a good job working on your wobble board at home. Way to go Nobby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We don't know about the wobble board, but your vertical leap should give be worth lots of agility points!!
    xoxo,
    Sunny & Rosy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leaping and climbing, which you have obviously mastered, seem much more important than teetering on a board, but I'm confident you'll be able to add even that to your already impressive list of accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a great trainer, and with determination I know you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi hi hi! Ojo here! Hurray for jumping over things! I didn't like the seesaw either. Hurray for your homemade wobble board, that looks way more fun! Good job, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nobby, we think you have the wrong sport there - are you sure you dont belong in the high jump arena? We hope very soon to see a video of you performing on the agility course. And about those poles - why would anyone want to try to get somewhere by doing that anyway? Isn't the shortest and fastest distance between two points a straight line???

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!