Friday 29 September 2023

Nature (writing) Friday - AN OUTRAGE!

Here's another dual purpose Nature Friday and Final Friday Feature post

Can you believe it? Despite encouragement from Gail's tutor to include me, Nobby, in as many stories as she likes, you'll never guess what my owner went and did this week on her Nature Writing course...

The theme was 'Facts are your Friend'. 

In response to the task of writing a 350 word vignette about a something she sees in nature on a regular basis, enhanced by background reading on the topic, Gail submitted a piece titled 'Granite', in which I do not feature AT ALL!

I post it here only to demonstrate how boring Gail's 'Nobby-free' writing can be*.

PS from Gail: I'm afraid there is a grain of truth to Nobby's assertion that, when he is not included, I struggle a bit to keep things interesting. But then, my intention in signing up for the course was to stray out of my dog blogging comfort zone.

Granite


As the first storm of the winter hurtles against my bedroom window, I’m woken early. Listening to the gale ripping branches off the trees outside, I feel reassured that my house, like so many in my adoptive city of Aberdeen, is built of good, solid granite blocks. 

In an hour or so, the morning dog walk round Duthie Park will take me past a patch of grass where half a dozen offcuts of quarried granite are scattered about, each labelled according to the location from where it was hewn.

Corrennie, Kemnay, Rubislaw, Sclattie, Clinterty, Peterhead.  

Granites are composed of a crystalline matrix, the main constituent minerals being quartz, feldspar and mica. If I look carefully at the rocks in the park I note, beyond the obvious differences in hue, distinct variations in granularity, colour contrast and texture. They have in common a hardness and resistance to wear. Unlike the soft southerner’s sandstone widely used in the Central Belt, this rock is not for crumbling.

The granite of the Cairngorm plateau, described by Aberdonian writer Nan Shepherd as “defiant against frost and the old grinding of ice”, is a close relative of the quarried stones in the park. 

Still in bed, hoolie still blowing, I contemplate the various ages of my house.

Rubislaw quarry, sometimes (wrongly) described as the biggest man-made hole in Europe, supplied the principal construction material for much of the city of Aberdeen, including my early Edwardian era home. Modern dating techniques estimate the granite to have been emplaced during the Ordovician, at a time when trilobites still swam the oceans and dinosaurs were but a distant gleam in evolution’s eye. 

The chemistry of the magma, its depth of burial and rate of cooling determined the precise appearance of these granites. The rocks quarried in Peterhead, thirty miles north of Aberdeen, are a gay rosy-red, the colour imparted by iron-rich feldspars. The Rubislaw granite is more sombre. Aberdeen tourist blurb likes to emphasise the micas sparkling in the sunlight but the point is lost when the city is shrouded in haar. Forget Nan Shepherd. As winter trudges on, the literary reference that comes to mind will be ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’.

Cosy under my duvet, there’s something comforting about being further protected by walls built from a material unchanged for the best part of 470 million years.  

13 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby, at least there was reference to Duthie park dog duties... Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    Gail - this is excellent! I was right there with you, wrapped in knee blanket, as I look out at the washing machine covering the Hutch, so grateful for our new slate roof! Nothing boring about this piece at all. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was most enlightening. It's extraordinary to try and understand what 470 million years means. I had to look up feldspars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure granite is not a subject we hear much about, especially here in sandy Florida. This is very interesting, and I had never thought about different colors of granite, now I will. Nobby you did get part of you in the photo and also a mention, as we all know who is the dog walking, mentioned at the beginning.. I might have to wander one of our cemeteries and see if there are any colored granite stones, i think ours are all gray

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a short few words about "dog", but it is a good piece. Mom writes mainly about dogs but she sometimes writes about other things too if there is an interesting topic. She says if you are a good writer you can write about anything that interests you. Have a Grand weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Nobby, Carol and I are very impressed with Gail's excellent subject matter this week. Though we must confess that we enjoy reading about you and your antics more.
    Love,
    Paca xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great piece Gail wrote! Next time it will be all about you, Nobby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gail very interesting 350 words. WOW I can say 350 random words in a nanosecond. However, organizing them in to something that makes even a grain of sense would not happen. Kudos on your Geophysics background.
    Nobby the good news here is you did get a walk and your nap under the duvet was undisturbed with a photo session.
    That is a lovely piece of granite.
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're glad we got to see your picture next to that granite marker, Nobby. Gail's piece on the various types of granite found in your country was very interesting to our mom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed your essay Gail, love your descriptive words...hoolie may be my new favorite word!
    Cheers!
    Beth

    We really enjoyed your essay introduction Nobby, and bet Gail includes you in futures essays!
    xoxo,
    Rosy & Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our OPA would have i]enjoyed this Granite essay! SInce he was very interested in Geology, as an offshoot from his work in gemology...

    Glad to see you checking out that nice reddish granite, Nobby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your writing is well done and fascinating especially since where I live on Cape Ann MA ~ granite is very significant and we have granite quarries that were once working ones ~ so thanks for this wonderfuly info and Nobby I am always happy to see you ~ you are loved and cozy under the duvet ~ Xo


    Wishing you good health, laughter and love your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your writing and understand Nobb'y's need to be involved in everythign

    ReplyDelete
  13. Learning stuff we never knew before! So very interesting!

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!