Friday 9 June 2023

Letter to DB (Kelpie), Tacoma, Washington


Dear DB, 

I hope you don't mind me writing to you out of the blue like this but, having had your lovely owner Marse staying with us here in Scotland for the past two weeks, and having heard much about your, er, 'activities', I feel I now know you rather well despite us not having met. 

First of all, I feel must apologise for a terrible error I made a few weeks ago on this blog, when I posted a photo which I thought was of you but turns out not to be. The fault is entirely Gail's. To rectify this error, I have posted a genuine, Marse-certified image of your handsome self at the top of this post. 

Well DB, I must say you lucked out when you were adopted by Marse. This lady gives mighty fine back massages and belly rubs and plays a mean tug-of-war, as I am sure you are well aware. I have a suspicion that, had Gail not been in the habit of intervening with spoilsport statements like "please don't wind him up any further" our playtime could have been even more exciting...

I have noticed that Marse, like Gail, is an enthusiastic hill walker, and this of course is much to be commended. On this topic DB, and with all due respect to a dog who is my senior by about a year, may I be so bold as to offer a word of advice?

When Gail was driving us to the start of our hikes in Torridon, I overheard Marse comment favourably, perhaps even a tad incredulously, about how quiet and well-behaved I was in the back of the car. I think the implication here is that car rides in your presence are not quite so peaceful. So my suggestion is that you could consider toning down the backseat barking a few decibels, as then you would be a more welcome passenger and might get to go on even more adventures in your beautiful home state of Washington. 

It certainly works for me in Scotland.

Well that's about all for now. I do believe that Marse and her friend Nikki are flying back across the Pond today. How sorry I shall be to see them go, although I am sure you, DB, will be pleased to have your owner home safe and sound. Oh and if she tries to tell you any bad things about me and my ball-stealing exploits in the park, I feel I can trust you to adhere to the canine honour code and pretend you did not hear...

Toodle-oo!
Nobby.

17 comments:

  1. Nobby, I'm sure DB will be delighted to receive such words of wisdom from one so young! Surely Marse will only recount the good parts of your behaviour - if she tells him about your naughty ones, he might get even more ideas about behaving badly!
    Love,
    Amber xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are ausre DB enjoys your letter.. and we hope there is a big reunion party in the US soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely letter, Nobby. DB will be overjoyed to hear from you and know that you are now penpals. It is a shame when owners spoil playtime but I'm sure Gail knows what's best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby, that is a fine letter... though, this Aussie is a tad concerned and am torn whether to bring up the subject of DB's birthline, making myself very unpopular... the picture originally posted, (although still a little debatable) was much closer to being "Kelpie" than the one I see here. This one shows significant Shina Ibu or Akita Ibu colouring and shaping. DB is clearly a crossbreed, but I would be hard-pressed to have guessed Kelpie... (or I may be so out of touch with breed traits that you can dismiss and ignore this comment!) Meanwhile, young Nobby, I do hope you don't miss all that attention too much and settle down to life alone with Gail now! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail replies: This is Marse's original description of DB.
      "DB has the look of an australian kelpie, but not the coloring. i think he has some basenji in him, which would explain the coloring and high pitch of his whines and barks. too bad he didn't inherit the basenji trait of no barking!"
      The original picture I mistakenly posted was of 'Roo', the kelpie/collie cross who we often see in Duthie Park.

      Delete
  5. I know that you will miss Marse and Nikki, Nobby, but I'm sure handsome DB will be happy for his owner to return home and we hope he takes your most wise suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nobby, great letter to DB and after reading the letter and all the comments I pushed down on DB phooto and google ID's him as Basenji, which is a breed I did not know about and he does indeed look like one. I am not sure why all the discussion about his breed, since all the dogs that have owned us, are mix breeds and we love all dogs no matter mixed or not, big or little. Both you and DB are precious, sweet and smart. and loved and loving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nobby should you tire of being an adored, pampered WFT living a life of luxury...I think you have a career in letter writing. WELL done Nobby on your letter to handsome DB. I expect he will have time to contemplate you advice on the pros and cons of being a backseat driver. I know you will miss the extra hands of Marse and Nikki. I might have giggled out loud at this
    "please don't wind him up any further". I might have said that a few times to my Daddy when he and the mighty mini Dachshund Toto engaged in a game of tug of war.
    Safe travels to Marse and Nikki.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is excellent advice to your friend DB, and how nice of you to share! Gail's guests seemed to have a wonderful time and you gave them the doggie fix that they needed while they were missing their own dogs so far away. Good Dog Nobby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely letter you sent to DB. That is great advice, and we hope it helps him to get to go on more adventures. You have been a great host to Gail's friends, but we are sure you will enjoy having Gail all to yourself again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice letter Nobby - you have to let the human pets go home 'cos you know how much the animal governors of the household miss their trained servants when they get off the leash. Gail will still take you on loads of adventures for sure. xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely letter to DB today Nobby, and some good advice!!!
    xoxo,
    Rosy & Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like you have a big fan. It is sweet of you to update her pup.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you had a nice long visit with your friends, Nobby. Oh, and that was some good advice about being a doggie passenger in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't it wonderful the connections that blogging brings. One day I might make it back to Scotland - I'm sure Oscar would like it there too... but it seems so far away from here - unlike when I lived in Northumberland and we would pop across the border regularly. I was in north wales the other week - a place which always reminds me of Scotland; much more so that the Lake District.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Phod also suggests to the handsome DB that he doesn't vomit in the car. People don't like that. DB sounds like he has gotten himself a very wonderful person. Lee and Phod

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi friend, Ojo here! It is good to have pen pal!

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!