Monday 17 April 2023

A question of stamina


Why would I be tired after a twelve mile* hike?

Gail seemed to think I might be, but between you and me, that probably says more about how her was sixty-four year old legs were feeling by the end of our walk on Saturday. 

I, of course, was still pretty sprightly after a glorious gallop around the hills near Ballater in stunning spring sunshine. 

We started in the woods at Milton of Tullich, where the birch trees have not quite come into leaf. 

A couple of miles on, we were out into open country.

There are just a few signs of human civilisation in this part of the world. 

Gail was awestruck by the magnificent panorama of snow-capped Aberdeenshire hills, whereas I focused on the near at paw. 

Then it was back down to the river valley and a patchwork of trees and sheep-grazed fields, with Lochnagar glimmering in the distance.

Finally, we returned to civilization, and Gail enjoyed a cup of tea and a scone on the terrace of a café in Ballater. We could have gone inside but three disputatious Lhasa Apsos had got there ahead of us and, disappointingly, Gail thought it would be "more relaxing" to stay away from the canine mayhem.

*Gail says: To be accurate, I walked twelve miles; Nobby, with his frequent side trips into the undergrowth, probably covered more than twenty. My friend Henry and I did a similar version of this walk with Bertie back in 2019, as reported here.
Gail and Nobby's hike, 15 April 2023

17 comments:

  1. That's quite some stretch Nobby. And btw tell Gail it wasn't your attempted foray into AI that prompted our last rant... at least three other blogs we follow have posted 'what fo you think of this' AI prose over recent months. As an exercise in trying anything new we are all for it and sorry you couldn't get logged on because as a one off we could have read your thoughts on what it produced for you. Xxx Mr T and F

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, that's some walk Nobby - you did very well to finish it with energy to spare! The scenery was beautiful and we would all have loved to come with you.
    I don't suppose you helped share Gail's scone!
    Love,
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow you walked a whole necklace... hat was a uper long walk... and we love the view over your country... it is so beautiful and it gives this special feeling to see all this good things...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful wild countryside, but WHY would someone go to all the trouble of carrying rubbish (an old sink?) out there. Did they think it enhanced the view?
    I enjoyed the video - but, oh, that wind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail says: My phone camera microphone has made the wind sound a lot worse than it actually was. Of course it's just about always windy to some degree on high ground in Scotland, but Saturday was in fact a relatively calm day!

      Delete
  5. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby, I am most impressed at the territory you covered. Given the two mile walk I faced in Glasgow last week just about ended me! Here's to many more such bright and bonny days for you and Gail to traverse the hills like this. Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a very long hike and the scenery is just beautiful! We loved your video, Nobby, and liked hearing Gail's voice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not sure if i have ever walked a full 12 miles at one time. 3 to 5 is about the longest and that was 10 years ago at a spry 68 years old, I think you were able to do your 20 miles and still be raring to go from your specail genetics to your young age.. I am wondering just how many steps you have to take to do 20 miles... wow, maybe 87 million... sorry you had to eat out side, but it looks like

    ReplyDelete
  8. NObby what a absolutely glorious day for a 12/20 mile trek. My legs are screaming in sympathy and that scone looks delicious
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sure looked like you were enjoying your hike, Nobby. What beautiful views you had of all those snowcapped mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nobby ~ you are such a strong doggie ~ 12 miles! Wow! ~ Always great to see you ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your day,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW Nobby, that must have been a wonderful hike! You have such gorgeous views, and wonderful hiking trails in Scotland!
    xoxo,
    Sunny & Rosy

    PeeEss from Mama: LOL What an accurate description of Sunny "disputatious" is(which is why she doesn't get to go to public places)Luckily, Rosy is calmer and better suited for these type of outings(both are Lhasas).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done, Nobby (and Gail)! And thank you for the splendid panoramic view; the weather looks ideal for your climb. Did Gail share her scone with you?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Nobby, my name is Jax and I am 9 month old WFT. I have to say I know what you mean about 64 year old legs. Anne, the woman I live with, has a pair and they are no match for my puppy terrier legs, I assure you. I live in the US, in Maryland to be precise, just outside Washington DC. I get to go on long walks too but the scenery around here is not as beautiful as in your neck of the woods. You are a lucky dog indeed. After my long walks with Anne, I always ask, 'so now what are we going to do?' She just rolls her eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jax!
      How lovely to hear from another young WFT. I totally recognise the rolling the eyes thing, but it's important to keep one's human fit, isn't it?
      Toodle-oo!
      Nobby.
      PS Have you considered starting a blog?

      Delete
  14. Wow! You and your lady are sure athletic walking all that way! We loved seeing the beautiful mountains and scenery, and Nobby too!

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!