Monday 20 March 2023

Mothering thoughts in Torridon


Greetings from Torridon, where we're spending a few days, just Gail and I, all by ourselves, 

Sometimes, it's the role of us pups to cuddle up to our humans and patiently listen when they want to talk. 

So here I am, comfy on Gail's lap, watching a superior Ireland rugby team winning against England in Dublin on Saturday evening, and Gail tells me she's thinking about her mother. 

It seemed odd to me that a rugby game prompted these thoughts, but then I learned how Gail's dad took her mother to see Ireland play England at Lansdowne Road when they were on honeymoon in Dublin in 1956, and her mother always said of the occasion "I thought I'd married a quiet man until that day". 

Yesterday, Sunday, was Mother's Day in the UK. Gail took me for for a long and wild walk to the magnificent Coire Mhic Fhearchair.  

Gail's mother once told her that she met Gail's dad at a 'do' at the Nottingham Squash club. He asked her if she would like to join him for a walk in countryside the next day and she thought "what a nice man". And the rest is history. 

Tomorrow it will be five years since Gail's mother died. She says they had an at times 'complicated' relationship. She also says that she treasures a copy of 'Winnie the Pooh' inherited from her mother and inside the book is a label saying it was a prize for 'good conduct' at school.

Apparently Gail herself never won any awards for 'good conduct' and she doesn't suppose I ever will either.

OK, so time to own up. Here's a picture of the remains of a packet of cup-a-soup which I stole from a couple of hikers on Sunday. They were the only other people we met on the whole 8.75 mile walk and they were enjoying a picnic beside the loch pictured above. Gail says the fact they weren't cross about my behaviour does not count as mitigation...

14 comments:

  1. First I want to comment on the photos! Everything is so starkly beautiful. I just love the photos of all those stone and rock and paths and you in the middle of it. I laughed my head off at the soup episode. I’m glad they were not upset. I bet you got a scolding! Whenever I see old westerns on television it makes me think of my dad so I can understand why a game On TV would make Gail think of her mother. My mother and dad during the war met on the steps of an old house in Savannah Georgia. It was hot summer time and there was no AC back then and they were both coming out of their little apartments they were staying in and sitting on the steps to get cooled off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wild, wide open spaces - you must nearly have walked your little paws off, Nobby.
    I laughed, somewhat ruefully, at your cup-a-soup incident. People usually are quite accommodating/forgiving. I remember our Dalmatians piling through a family picnic (not my family!) and our first Labrador swiping bread from a passer-by's basket. Opportunistic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Nobby - just when we hoped you'd be able to drop the "naughty" - you go and do it again! Your were just lucky that those people weren't cross you stole their soup.
    What a super walk you had in such spectacular surroundings - and there's still some snow about, so it must be cold.
    Perhaps next time Gail will take a cup-a-soup with her - and you can steal it!
    Love,
    Indy xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. your Gail won you and Bertie and Hamish that is the best prize and the greatest gift ever...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous walk and such beauty! Happy Mother's Day to your mom, Nobby! Moms are special and we send Gail a big hug♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nobby how very kind and thoughtful of you to let Gail have the lead on today's post. I recall fondly many tales about Gail's parents. The two 2 K9's who came before you pushed all of HGM's house rules and frankly but they eventually won her heart. I'm sure she would have adored your WFT spunk.
    What a lovely series of scenery photos. Oh my Dogs I used to take cup o'soup to work for lunches.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby... First you bowl me over with the stunning new header pic with daffies and Loch T and you looking properly dapper; then you have me sighing in memory of my own dear departed mother. Next you had me reminiscing on younger, fitter walking days and visiting such places Fhearchair... THEN you go and filch soup from the only other folk on your walk! Talk about spoiling the view... hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looked like a great place for a hike. Thanks for taking us along with you. You sure are a cheeky one to steal that soup from the hikers you met. It sounds like you and your mom had a good Mother's Day together, Nobby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is definitely a wild walk and great scenery and so what about the soup?! Huh. The packets are about the size of a wet-food pouch. Did you get a surprise when you encountered the contents? We couldn't read the label - was it oxtail? Paw smacks Mr T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr T, By the time I had finished chewing the packet and let Gail see it, the label was not legible. It was yummy anyway.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing memories of your parents. I remember when Bertie would visit "Human Granny." (I noted your recent comment that the dear chap has now been gone a year.) What a beautiful spring header photo of Nobby and the daffodils and spectacular scenery. High score, Nobby on the pilfered soup packet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful hike you and Gail took, Nobby! We think maybe Gail needs to bring you more snacks so you don't resort to theft BOL!
    xoxo,
    Rosy and Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reminiscing sometimes brings out things to smile about...same with our family.

    What an amazing venue for your hike! So beautiful!

    And you just needed sustenance for the walk back home, right, Nobby??!! BOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful scenery on your hike. Long walks give us all plenty of time to think and remember---and then steal soup packets? What a day you both had!

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!