Monday 30 January 2023

Quiz answer and "almost sensible"...

 Just rushing over for a wee Monday chat!

First I want to say thank you to all those who took part in my Nature Friday quiz last week. All your answers were spot on, so full marks to everyone! (The 'official' answer we had in mind was tree photo #5, the odd one out as it was the only picture taken in Scotland not Cuba.)

So anyway, I am delighted to report that Gail and I are now back to our usual happy routine here in Scotland, and we have been out and about enjoying the not very wintery January weather.

On Saturday we explored a new walk, starting from the Aberdeenshire village of Monymusk.

It is still the case in this part of Scotland that many woodland walks are obstacle courses. Although it's now well over a year ago since Storm Arwen decimated huge areas of forest, too many tracks hereabouts are yet to be cleared.

I am an agile and springy little fellow so can easily leap over or crawl under the fallen tree trunks. My human is not quite so agile, and any expertise she once had in high jump or limbo dancing is but a distant memory.

Still, we managed to reach our goal, the pretty little artificial loch at Clyan's Dam, where two swans swam over to greet us.

While Gail stood back to admire the their graceful presence, I was keen to get a closer look at the first arrival.

But when the second swan came up to the bank, I decided to back away a little, feeling perhaps that if it came to a conflict, the odds had shifted in favour of the feathered contingent.
 
It was rather patronising of Gail to observe that I might actually be becoming "almost sensible" now that I am into my second year...

15 comments:

  1. oh that was wise to keep some distance to the swan... ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The assault course was well worth the effort to reach that lovely lake. I suspect the swans were looking for food, and hoped you'd share a crust or two.
    It's chilly here again this morning 8ÂșC, so we'll wait until this afternoon before we go on our walk. I have a poorly leg and paw, and sometimes I limp, so it's very slow progress on our walks these days.
    Love,
    Indy xx
    P.S. from Carol - Last week Indy was diagnosed with cancer in her ankle and leg, which has now spread to other parts of her body. Because of her age, leg amputation is not viable, so we're trying pain management, but the little madam won't take her pills - no matter how I try to hide them in her food, and I've tried just about everything. At least she doesn't know she has cancer, and we'll live in the moment and make her life comfortable as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Carol, this is sad news indeed. I'm sure you are right not to subject Indy to an amputation. I know you'll do your best to keep her comfortable and out of pain.
      All the best, Gail.

      Delete
  3. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby, I must say, you do look as if you are thinking properly about the risk factors involved with meeting and greeting a pair of swans!!! The can be fast, y'ken.

    And I am sad to read of your friend Indy's poor health - I send lots of POTP via the ethermutts... Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nobby springy and bouncy!! What a great description of you my handsome WFT friend. And might I add very kind of you to be understanding of Gail's less than agile self. That would apply to us here too.
    I loved your new walk and the lake with the swans. Way back when I was gainfully employed one of the Physics professor told me about a encounter with swans while he was jogging in his neighborhood of around Lochmere Village around the lake (sounds like he was in Scotland but he was in Wake Co). Evidently their beauty and grace are only feather deep. A pair of them chased him around the lake and one actually nipped at his ankles. So yes were wise to back away.
    Bryan and I enjoyed the quiz too.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a fun and challenging hike. We think you made a wise choice regarding those swans, Nobby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We clearly got the quiz answer wrong. The swans are so beautiful and you are smart to back away, Nobby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you backed away from the swans. I heard they can be nasty at times. Best to admire them from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nobby - you must be getting sensible - you must have bypassed that mud-bath en route to the lake. Large poultry is best avoided until 'them with the opposable thumbs' have 'undressed' them. Not sure that even humans here are allowed to eat swans, I have heard they all belong to the king. I bet he couldn't eat them all. paw smacks Mr T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail is still getting used to the fact that we now have a King.

      Delete
  9. If swans are anything like geese, you made the right decision to back up. they are beautiful and the loch is goregous. You my sweet springy pup are look find and dandy... I fear i could not walk that path, so cudos to you and Gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. The challenges of that trail are what keep you and Gail in such great shape, but we don't think we could ever get our human to attempt even the easiest parts:). Nice Nobby, naughty Nobby, and now Sensible Nobby - what is happening to you, Nobby????

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those swans were checking you out, that is amazing! You have such fun experiences on your very special walks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe those swans thought you were a land-swan...since you have a lot of white in your furs, BOL! You were both curious about eachother.

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!