Wednesday 28 December 2022

A typical winter walk in Duthie Park


Regular readers of this blog will know that the early morning walk in Duthie Park is an important part of the daily routine here in the Nobby and Gail household.

Come rain or shine, snow or gales, we are out there at break of day. 

Here's a short account of yesterday's dawn excursion.

I'm on my lead for the quarter of a mile walk to the park entrance, where Gail releases me.

I check Gail's coming, then run into the park, not forgetting to decorate both the fancy wrought iron gate and the bin just behind it.

I make brief detour to investigate an alluringly pungent in smell the rhododendron shrubbery before reaching the brightly lit Park Café. The café doesn't open for another couple of hours and Gail, as always, tuts at the waste of energy. 

Looking the other way, we both admire the sunrise (it's about 8 am), and I scan the park for potential playmates.

My keen eyes soon spot a moving green light below left of the bandstand, and recognise this as the fluorescent collar belonging to one of the park regulars, Black Labrador Charlie. 

There is a brief interlude where I ignore Gail's calls and race off to say hi to Charlie, and Gail rudely interrupts our game saying "can't you see Nobby, he doesn't want you jumping all over him today" and drags me away. This episode is not recorded on camera.  

I hope Charlie doesn't think my pink light is "girlie". 

Further along, I pause again and check to see if any more of my park pals have turned up. Sadly not. The grass is a wee bit frosty on the paws. 

We complete the circuit of the park in about twenty minutes and I halt in front of the new 'Outdoor Nursery' building. The small humans who attend the nursery have not yet arrived. I wonder if they will be playing outside today. I patiently wait for Gail to put on my lead for the short walk home.

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow, the same pattern will repeat, with minor variations.

18 comments:

  1. You are very lucky to have such a lovely park nearby Nobby. Good to have such an invigorating walk so early, even if it means there is no-one to play with.
    I've inherited a collar with pink lights too, from Petite-Chose, but I've never worn it - we don't go out early enough at this time of year.
    Love,
    Indy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a beautiful park and one we would love, if you could remove the frost! canines do love routine, and since I am totally in love with routine, we do pretty much the same as you do, 365 days a year, come rain, sleet, hail or snow or high winds. although covid did cause Beau to miss one day. we have routine inside the house and outside and we to go at daybreak which here is 7 am. i love the buildings in your park and especailly the one where the kids play.. its a lovely park. we have a park in 3 directions, but each of them is 2 miles from the house

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby, you managed to take us along with you this morning! That is certainly a lot of light coming from the cafe... and I must say, that shot of the bandstand sillhouetted agains the rising day is really rather sublime. Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nobby OMDs how I would love to take that stroll thru Duthie with you and Gail.
    Lovely grounds and the sunrise spectacular. Maybe Charlie is not a early morning pup. Fingers crossed next time you see him he has developed a love for an early morning romp with a fine WFT fella.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Nobby - that is a wonderful walk. We can see how much further north you are by your morning sun. You are behind us in daylight. That looks like a very lovely place to walk. We are sure Charlie won't notice the pink light. Lee and Phod who live in a winter wonderland and it is snowing again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun walk you get to take every day. We hope tomorrow you see more of your friends there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are up early for your sunrise walk. I betcha that Charlie was very happy to see you, Nobby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to meet you Noddy and family!!

    What a lovely place for walkies!! My mom and I love the idea of Christmas Day Picnic! Everything you brought are great. I wish if we could do the same BUTT it was 'feels like' minus 20C here in Toronto. bol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nobby you make F think we need to get out more. I rather think nor with all that frost on the ground. Paw smacks Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are certainly an early bird! It's good that you have such a lovely place to take your morning walk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a lovely walk. Thank you for sharing it with us

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a strikingly deep blue sky in the first photo. After reading about the park, I'm surprised the city allows dogs. Perhaps Scotland takes a friendlier, or more relaxed approach to dog walking than most of the US cities I've lived in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail replies: I've travelled quite extensively in the USA (worked in Oklahoma for two years) and can confirm that Scotland takes a much more friendly and relaxed approach to dog walking than most (all?) cities in the USA do. We are also more relaxed about access and freedom for dogs in the countryside, beaches, forests, national parks, even many nature reserves. Strict rules do however apply, sensibly, around farm livestock. Nobby does not realise how lucky he is.

      Delete
    2. Nobby is a lucky boy! I remember getting an expensive ticket in Sausalito, California, for playing soccer with my cardi on an open field behind the tennis courts. The cop hid in the bushes to catch us. It was a shame, too, as we had a group of friendly folks who arrived each morning to watch us.

      Delete
    3. That's awful. And to think that cop could have been out catching real criminals!

      Delete
  13. The tale gets sadder. We had to play in our parking lot, and before I knew it, his little paws were bloody from the abrasions....We only did that once! I felt terrible...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Us dogs love routine, and it looks like you have a great one Nobby! But the sun isn't up at 8:00 am? That's a lot of walking in the dark...glad you have your pretty pink lighted collar!

    Rosie and Redford

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are long way north here in Aberdeen - same latitude as the southern tip of Alaska, so daylight hours are short at this time of year!

      Delete

We love it when you woof back!