Wednesday 30 November 2022

Train training

One rather damp and gloomy day last week, Gail announced that we were going to have a change from the usual afternoon walk, and it was time for a spot of "train training".

Long time readers will be aware that my predecessor Bouncing Bertie travelled many thousands of miles by rail during his twelve years, including two trips to continental Europe - one to Switzerland and one to Bavaria. 

However, Gail did tell me that "Rome wasn't built in a day" and although Bertie eventually became the perfectly behaved train passenger, there were, truth to tell, 'hiccups' along the way (most famously the Newcastle Station incident) and thus her assertion that I might need some "training" sessions.

My first ever experience experience on the railway actually took place back in July when I was in Nottingham, but as this was only a six minute journey Gail felt it didn't really count. 

So last week we upped the ante and went all the way down the coast from Aberdeen to Stonehaven, a twenty minute trip. For some reason Gail chose a time of day when she was confident that the train carriages would be fairly empty. 

I'll let the pictures below do the talking (I was quiet throughout).
Waiting at Aberdeen station

Checking things out on the train 

The North Sea from the train window

"Are we nearly there yet?" 

We arrived safely and walked down to the town centre

Then on to the seafront

And a quick glance at Stonehaven harbour

Finally back to the railway station to board the train home


What IS all this "mind the gap" business anyway? 

15 comments:

  1. Yup...distractions will be your undoing...we are like that too, don't worry! Ya gotta make sure no treats are there to be had!

    MJF would even remember where such things were when we would stroll along the same path a day or two later and would try too find the goods, even though *she* had thrown them way out of reach. Maybe if you were off leash...nah, we don't think your Gail would allow that! BOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, a longer train journey is a new experience for you Nobby! Though I don't think you're allowed on the seats!
    I don't know if dogs are allowed on any public transport here, though that may have changed since the parliamentary decree, earlier this year, making dogs sentient beings and must be treated with humanity and kindness. Many have been very cruelly treated in the past.
    Stonehaven looks an interesting little place and must be quite pretty when the sun is out.
    Love,
    Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh we now understand why that is named train-ing.. and you are the best passenger... we think even igg pop would agree with his song.... btw: your land is so beautiful ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went back and read about b e r t i e s trip on the train to Newcastle. It scared me to death reading it and I knew that it was many years ago. I have only known your mama for a short time and only new birdie for a short time. I am hoping to know you for a much longer time and I do enjoy your training stories as much as you enjoy training. you have hit on one of my favorite subjects! Trains! I started writing trains when I was 3 months old and rode them until I was 28 several times a year. The train ride from Savannah to here in Florida where I am now to see my mother's mother was 10 hours long and I loved every minute of it. I can still feel the rocking of the train they were nothing like the one you're on now though much slower. You're such a good boy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby, that was an adventure for you - and I love that wee peek of rainbow in the shoreline piccy! You remain restless and inquisitive, I note - I think this needs to be a weekly training session! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx (PS WHAT? No fish and chips???)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trains are cool aren't they? I see you nearly scored the packet at the end... They mean you get to visit all sorts of places you would otherwise never know existed. Sometimes they even go places that roads don't. I have just narrowly missed out on an 8 hour train journey to Falmouth (which might have been just as well because it involved 4 changes and a bit of waiting about in stations). Mr B forgot he is to be small human sitting this coming weekend so a weekend trip to Falmouth is off (and Mr B is going on his own tomorrow - he has to bring my van back).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you to get to go on a train and have fun adventures, Nobby. For such a youngster, you are very well behaved!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We notice since the incident you are harnessed so it will be much harder to slip out. The train ride looks fun. Phod is sure he would be train sick. Lee and Phod who may be ok we don't take a train

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nobby standing ovation here from me and Bryan the Train Brain. We are both all kinds of proud of you. Looks like you took every since nano second of your train training like the fine WFT guy you are!! This train training will open your world up to scents, sounds and sights. So inquiring minds want to know if you and Gail will take a train training trip to Newcastle Station?
    Hugs cecilia and bryan

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did great on your rail adventure, Nobby. We can't wait to learn about more big train adventures for you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Nobby...we think you were VERY well behaved...you'll be traveling all around Europe soon!
    xoxo,
    Rosy

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMD...Nobby! You are getting so grown up! And I couldn't help but notice on the sea front picture...there was a rainbow in the background of the picture. I bet that was Bertie and he was traveling along with you and Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My goodness, you are the luckiest pup with your big adventures! The train ride looked so fun and you looked like you were very well behaved, except for a moment on the video! Looks like a great walk too! We are a bit jealous here!

    Rosie and Redford

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm pretty sure Chester wouldn't be so good on a train. Cheers to you, Nobby!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They should pay you to take their train because cute dogs bring in the peeps

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!