Friday 21 October 2022

All over the place

No, the title of this post is not a commentary on the state of the UK government (although we would understand how some readers might think it should be...)

Rather, the fact is that Gail has been taking me here, there and everywhere this past week, celebrating the variety of different landscapes within a twenty mile radius of our Aberdeen home. Apparently at this time of year, in our part of the world, it is particularly important to take advantage of any not-too-cold and not-too-grey days that come our way. Especially when the autumn colours are so pretty.

So I have of course, as always, been enjoying my early morning walks in Duthie Park, where the sycamore trees are putting on a particularly fine show just now. 

Last Friday, I 'posed nicely' mid-way up our ascent of Millstone Hill, allowing Gail to take in the view over the fields and forests of Donside.

Then I ran ahead up the winding path through the now faded heather.

Of course I still had plenty of spring in my step when we reached the Millstone Hill summit cairn. (Mither Tap, the pointy peak in the background, was the final destination for this walk.)

So onwards to Mither Tap, where I tested Gail's nerves as I explored a gully in the weatherbeaten granite outcrop. 

I tested Gail's nerves again on Saturday, when I balanced on a wall beside the lake in the grounds of Crathes Castle (photo courtesy of our friend 'M'). More splendid autumn colours! 

On Sunday I discovered what a nice hike it is, along the Ythan Estuary (home to an impressive array of wading birds), to reach the beach at Forvie Nature Reserve.

And on Tuesday I had fun too, exploring the shoreline and checking out the beached strands of kelp closer to home near the mouth of Aberdeen harbour.

Finally, on Wednesday I helped Gail find the route through the beech trees in nearby Tollohill Wood, despite the path being hidden by all the fallen leaves.

All in all, it was a fine week. (Unless you are UK's now ex-Prime Minister Liz Truss.)

Happy Nature Friday friends! 

21 comments:

  1. you are very busy... we love your plan... and we love the footprints in da sand... we hope they will stay furever and ever...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful countryside you live in Nobby. My female human is very envious of all those outings and nature places to go. Testing their nerve is a fine thing to do and you look good at it. Any bison BTW? Evidence they have been there? Paw smacks Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely walks you go on Nobby - you lucky boy.
    I just want to say goodbye to you and Gail and thank you both (and Bertie) for all the lovely pictures you've shown us and interesting places we've seen.
    Sadly, my vet says that it's time for me to go - I'm not sure where, but wherever it is it's making my human cry, but I hope it's somewhere nice.
    My human will still follow your blog.
    Bye, bye,
    Love Inca xx
    P.S. from Carol - Inca's human.
    The vet came yesterday to check Inca over. He feels it's time to let her go, as her quality of life is deteriorating rapidly. Over the past month she has started having trouble with walking, balance, and her eyesight and hearing are almost gone. She is at the stage where, when she's not sleeping, she's confused and just walks in circles or stares into space. It's all happened so quickly, but she's 13, and a good age for a Lab. However her appetite is still good - this morning she demolished her own breakfast, part of mine and some of the garden cats' too - before I could remove the bowls!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Labrador to the end - Farewell dear Inca. Carol, you know you have the Love and Empathy of all who share this wonderful space of Blogland. YAM xx

      Delete
    2. My heart breaks for you even though I have not met you and Inca. Run free sweet Inca

      Delete
    3. Dearest Inca, you have been such a good blogpal to me and before that to Bertie. Whereever you go, I know it will be a place full of love and Labrador treats, so I have no idea why Gail has tears in her eyes.
      Toodle-oo!
      Nobby.
      Dear Carol, even when this news is not unexpected, it still comes as a shock. My thoughts are with you as you say the saddest of farewells to your beloved companion. Nobby and I will so miss her wonderful comments.
      Love and hugs, Gail.

      Delete
    4. Thank you, Gail, and Nobby for your very kind thoughts.
      I held Inca and told her what a wonderful girl she had been, as she quietly slipped away.
      There's a big hole in my heart and life right now, but I shall still keep up with your news and enjoy your adventures. I'll comment too, but I'll try not to be as cheeky as Inca was!
      Love and hugs to you both too,
      Carol xx

      Delete
  4. Your walks are absolutely gorgeous, Nobby, and all so different. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby, I think the landscape is made all the more attractive for your presence in it! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting to go all kinds of places is a fun thing, lucky you! We especially love your walks along and around the water. We have lakes and rivers here, but your water areas are so much more interesting. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nobby OMDs OMDs you have become the ultimate hiking/walking/exploring side kick. You know how much I love all the beautiful vistas in Scotland. I would also like to add how very much I love all the wonderful names of the places you trek. Thank you and Gail.
    PS Just saw YAM's comment I wholeheartedly agree
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure have gone on some beautiful and exciting adventures this week, Nobby. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my sweet Navi sometimes you scare me to death when I see you in rocks and the things that you do and I don't know how Gail's nerve stand up under it because just looking at pictures sometimes upsets my nerves! I must say that the beauty around you is just absolutely amazing everywhere you go so much to look at and I'm glad you've had a whole week of days to enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Nobby, your Autumn scenery is breathtaking!!! We are so happy Gail is taking you here, there and everywhere...and that you are bringing us along!
    xoxo,
    Rosy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Nobby ~ what great walks Mom takes you on ~ sweet photos of you ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You sure live in an amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would be scared silly at letting you walk unleashed in those places, Nobby! You are very well trained and behaved...far better than my two hooligans!

    You do live in a most wonderful region! Thanks for taking us on a tour!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Nobby, Lady has been thinking about you a lot. Not because she has been following much of your politics - maybe she should, but she hasn't, but more because she read a book set in the Shetland Islands and Aberdeen came up a lot and now she wants to move to the Shetlands. Man thinks she is crazy! Lee and Phod who are happy enough where they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! You must all move to the Shetland Islands and come and visit us in Aberdeen. As Lady probably knows by now, there is a direct ferry. It docks less than a mile from our house.

      Delete
  15. Such gorgeous walks that you had this week, we are so jealous of all your special adventures. So pretty! And you look all grown up Nobby! Are you done growing?

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!