Monday 20 June 2022

Celtman - an alternative course?



When Gail and I arrived in Torridon village on Friday evening we found the place a-buzz with camper vans, tents, and lithe and muscular humans, all assembled for the annual 'Celtman' extreme triathlon, to take place the following day.  

It so happened that the route of our walk on Saturday afternoon coincided with a section of the final leg of the triathlon. 

When I asked Gail why she had suddenly clamped on my lead she replied that if contestants had started the day at 4 am by swimming 3.4 km across Loch Torridon (c.11ºC), then cycled a hilly 200 km in rain and a gale force wind, and were now nearing the end of an even hillier 42 km run, they probably didn't want to be subjected to an enthusiastic terrier-style greeting (which may or may not involve some nipping at exposed calves).
  

I wondered why Gail wasn't taking part - after all she cycles and goes swimming regularly, and appears to want to sprint after me in the park sometimes. Well you won't believe this, but she blamed me for her not entering the event. Well, me, and the fact that café stops along the route did not seem to be part of the arrangements...

It got me thinking. Perhaps we should organise our own 'Nobby and Gail friendly' event. 'Celtdog: the less Xtreme Triathlon' would be a good name. Here's my proposed programme. 

1. THE SWIM: The human swims across the little bay (Òb a' Bràighe) just close to our cottage, with the dog barking encouragement from the shore. I believe the distance in the water is about 250 m. After the swim the human has a hot shower and a mug of hot chocolate while the dog replenishes his energy with bowl of dog biscuits. If the weather is really horrid, or the jellyfish too abundant, the human is allowed to paddle around the edge of the bay.

2. THE BICYCLE RIDE: The route goes from our cottage to the nearest café. The café is in Torridon village, a distance of 5 miles (8 km). The dog may either run along side or be transported in a basket attached to the handlebars or in a separate trailer. The human is permitted to dismount and push on the steeper sections. A suitable handicapping system will be devised based on breed of dog and subtly weighted in favour of fox terriers... The destination café is to serve the human with tea and large slices of cake, but only dog-friendly cakes are permitted as licking the plate will be encouraged. 

3. THE RUN: Or walk. Along the shore path at the head of Loch Torridon then and a short distance on the road to end up in the very superior Torridon Hotel. Distance c. 2 miles, elevation gain < 10 m. On arrival at the hotel, participants - both human and canine - will be offered an unlimited selection from the restaurant menu, then can recuperate at their leisure in one of the luxury bedroom suites. The hotel's absurd restrictions on canine visitors will of course be suspended for the duration of the event.

Do we have any takers? 

17 comments:

  1. the mama waits till walk like a lame duck is part of da event... she will be great in that hahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby, if you were to add in a 'para' event for those of us who might have to use mobility scooters, count me in!!! (Not for the swim, obviously, that part could be considered hydrotherapy...) Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an amazing plan, Nobby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nobby that's brilliant, but when I put the idea to my human she said she'd give it some thought. This morning reminded me that she'd fed me, walked me for half an hour, had a swim, then a shower, then we'd shared her breakfast and she changed her bed, and put on a load of washing - and all before 10:30 a.m.! Between you and me, I think she feels that's enough to excuse her from this years less Xtreme Triathlon! She also pointed out that she's not getting any younger and may just turn up at the café stops instead!
    One's humans can be terribly embarrassing at times can't they!

    Love,
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could not particpate, but would like to be at the STOPS and perhaps could hold your leash and let you lick my plate because we could eat while they were running and swimming and walking. it sounds great to me, the Extreme tired me to the bone just reading it. when they have those here, there are hundreds of people doing it, we stay far away since we don't like crowds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BOL BOL BOL Nobby ummm those are some mighty beefy calves on the runners I purrsonally think they would have been a delightful taste sensation.
    I would pawticipate in your event..............from the sidelines cheering you and Gail on to victory. Once you two passed my I would head back to the cottage to prepare a warm bath for Gaili. What beautiful yet rough trekking trail~~~
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the way you think, Nobby. Great plan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We think your triathlon is much better than the one those people were running. Maybe you could propose it as an alternative for next year's event?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Count us in. Mom says we might need to take her in a sled, but that would be perfect for us:)

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great plan to us too Nobby!!
    xoxo,
    Rosy, Jakey & Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have a niece who used to run triathlons, never understood the appeal myself. I bet they were all happy that you were there for them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nobby, can cats in backpacks enter too? I'm not in favor of the swimming section myself but the cycling, foot passage parts sound mighty fine. Paw smacks Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nobby you are brilliant! Now all you need to do is advertise, make it offurcial and then organize the whole thing! If we swim across the big pond to get to your place, than all we'd need to do after that is bark everyone and everyfurry one along...deal??

    BOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi young friend, Ojo here! My person is declining, I don't know why! Also, did the rain stop? Also, did you ever get to chase any of those running humans??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Count us in, if we could get across the pond to join you...that sounds like the most fun day ever...for us dogs!

    Rosie and Redford

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!