Sunday 12 November 2023

Don't bark for me, Argentina...

Or should it be "Send in the Clones"?

It's not often I see my owner smile, then gasp, when she's reading about the prospect of yet another ultra-conservative libertarian nutter winning a major election. 

But then Gail showed me this picture from Argentina. 


What do you think Nobby, she asked? 

I said he looks a decent sort of a chap, do tell me more about him. 

Well it seems the human in the photo is called Javier Milei, and he is the current front-runner in the forthcoming presidential elections in Argentina. 

The dogs are his four bull mastiffs, Murray, Milton, Robert and Lucas, all named after right wing economists.

Hmmm, this is beginning to sound just a tad bit weird. 

That's not the half of it, Gail tells me. All the dogs are exact genetic copies of 'Conan', Mr Milei's beloved pet who died in 2017. The clones were created in a lab in upstate New York.  

And apparently this animal-loving politician consults his "four-legged children" on matters of election strategy. 

Suddenly, our politics in the UK is looking a little less strange...

Gail wonders whether all the dogs get on well together, and if they are similar in temperament to each other and to their 'parent' dog. And which one of them would take up the post of 'First Dog' if Milei wins the election. Can he even tell them apart?

I, Nobby, am thinking about all the excellent advice I could offer my country's leaders, should they ever care to ask...

16 comments:

  1. If he can afford to go off on a frolic cloning pets (particularly given the state of the Argentine economy) then he has far too much money to be a useful leader of a nation. And I beg to differ about whether he looks 'decent', he has something of the look of a madman about him - archetypal Bond villan. You would be an altogether better political advisor Nobby mainly because you evidently consult Gail even if you are your own dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobby replies: initially I thought he must be OK because he's a dog lover. Then Gail reminded me that Putin also loves my species...

      Delete
  2. I agree with Tiggers Mum, he does have the look of a madman, and I would not want to be one of his dogs, I will not go into the details of how much I dislike the cloning of animals or people. our world is quite mad these days. we have the over rich ad the mad humans in our polictics and on both sides of the congress. scary world. I am now wondering just how the president of USA let his German Shepherd bite 11 times some of the secret service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby, I am tempted to say that the world political stage is going to the dogs... but frankly, if it was you or any of these quadruplets in charge, we might be in a totally different state, with waggy tails and full of joy for each day... Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strange man. Personality and temperament can't be cloned. Do cloned animals have the same life expectancy, I wonder? I also wonder if we get the politicians we deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The man looks a little bit nutty but his puppies are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That man does sound a bit weird. We're curious to know about the personalities of the cloned dogs and if their owner could tell them apart without different colored collars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Four Bull Mastiffs...oh my dogs that is a lot of canine power. I hope Conan had a gentle manner...Other wise there will be tears of fear in Argentina.
    Nobby that being said 4 of you would be wonderful
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. He sounds like Canada's former Prime Minister. He was a lover of the Irish Terrier and could not clone in the 30s and 40s, so he just named each one Pat. He used ouiji boards and crystal balls to communicate with past Pats and his mother. It is said they gave him advice. Lee and Phod who don't want to be cloned

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Nobby. Just when I think we here in the US of A have a corner on strange and unsettling, I see the competition. Four cloned dogs making policy decisions? Hard to beat that for strange and unsettling...or perhaps if they were foxies all would be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We agree wholeheartedly with Tigger's Mum's comments.
    Nobby - he looks manic - a bit like a very young Ken Dodd! You'll have to ask Gail about him, but he was a crazy comedian.
    They are lovely dogs but look a bit fed up with just lying on the sofa. Perhaps they are waiting to begin making policy decisions?
    Love,
    Paca xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail says: Bond Villain or Ken Dodd (with better teeth). Yes, I can see both in him!

      Delete
  11. My mom always say all animal lovers are good hoomans. So paws crossed for this man's success in the future. Juno

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my Dog! What next?? Can we get any nuttier, crazier or sillier. That dude might be a doggy lover but well, lets just say he's far too weird for our taste...good thing we don't have to make any political decisions on his ticket...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yikes, just yikes! As our mom gets older, she wonders what the heck is going on in the world!? Good thing she has us huskies to keep her happy!

    Rosie and Redford

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!