Friday 13 October 2023

Glorious Glen Tanar plus


Happy Nature Friday friends!

I'm delighted to say that we have (I hope) something for everyone to enjoy today. So please ignore that silly superstition about Friday 13th...

First of all, one for those of you who like pictures. 

It finally stopped raining and on Wednesday Gail took me for a long walk in Glen Tanar, an all time favourite place for both of us, and we have some nice photos to share.

Secondly, here's a wordy bit, for those of you who enjoy this sort of thing. 

The good news from Gail's Nature Writing course is that, after a hiccup last week when she wrote a really boring piece in which I was not mentioned once, I returned to centre stage for this week's assignment.

The remit was to write c.500 words "about an encounter you've had with nature, injecting your own feelings and opinions so that the reader can share your emotional journey". 
 

THE HUNTER AND THE HUNTED


March 2022. Dawn is breaking in my inner-city back garden. A poorly coordinated bundle of fluff is scampering about on pipe-cleaner legs. My brand new puppy Nobby is eight weeks and four days old. House-training has commenced. He’s a few yards away, snuffling in the grass, all curiosity and ill-judged confidence. I watch, enchanted.

Suddenly, I notice a large shadow moving slowly in front of the shrubbery, a dozen or so paces behind Nobby. My early morning eyes strain to make out the shape. A fox, a large one, well fed apparently… He pauses, with what feels to me like menace, at the edge of the lawn. Nobby seems unaware of the danger. 

I am paralysed with fear on his behalf. 

What to do? My instinct is to run over and scoop my precious pup into a protective embrace. But will this attract the attention of the fox? Might Nobby run away from me and towards the predator before I reach him? Would a fox attack a two and a half kilogram puppy? 

I stand there, wrought with indecision. Then, a rapid movement, and the fox leaps easily over the garden wall and disappears. 

I breathe again.

*********

July, 2023. Nobby is just about fully grown, with curiosity and confidence undimmed. His horizons now extend far beyond my back garden and he is accompanying me, together with my old friend Henry, on a hike to the summit of one of Aberdeenshire’s bigger hills. The air is gentle, almost warm. Henry and I chat amicably. Nobby has ventured off-piste into the scrubby, stunted heather. 

The broad track bifurcates and I call Nobby over, repeatedly. He fails to respond. From a distance I can see him making little pouncing movements, his elongate snout poking at something in the undergrowth. Playing with it, almost.

I lose the short battle of wills (not for the first time), accept that my naughty pup is not coming and I must go back and rein him in. As I approach closer I hear a squeaking sound and my first thought is that Nobby has found a dog toy someone left behind. The truth then dawns as I spot a wriggling little fury of tawny fur caught between Nobby’s jaws. 

Horrified, I cry “leave it Nobby!” and, perhaps to his surprise as much as mine, he lets go. To my even greater surprise, while I am attaching Nobby’s lead, the short-tailed rodent waddles off on his delicate splay-toed feet and disappears into a clump of blaeberries. He seems to be uninjured. I want to believe this.

Back home, an internet search supports my suspicion that Nobby’s prey was a field vole. The clincher is that these creatures are said to emit squeaks reminiscent of a child’s toy when scared.

Manufacturers of ‘enrichment items’ for dogs clearly know their market.

*********

I reflect on how, when Nobby was a wobbly, skinny puppy, the maternal urge to protect him from dangers posed by nature was strong within me, the responsibility deeply felt. The conflict I experience when I see him, staying true I suppose to his terrier breeding, apparently relishing torturing a tiny, harmless vole, is equally powerful, but harder to process.

THE END

17 comments:

  1. wow that little thing had a lucky day... well done da nobby... to be a smooth mouthed pup is a good thing ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a lovely read. I love the 'pipe cleaner legs'. A close shave with a fox is an experience not to be relished and your heart in mouth reaction was entirely understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors at Glen Tanar are just gorgeous and we loved Gail's writing and it was all about you, Nobby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful walk in spectacular scenery, Nobby. I do envy you so much countryside on your doorstep
    We went down to meet friends for coffee at the beach this morning and I don't think I covered myself in glory! How could I explain that I just wanted to go to say hello to all the peoples who might share the biscuit that came with their coffee? I did bark at other dogs, just to let them know that I was there, but our friend Rudy kept me on a very tight lead, so I couldn't go over for a chat. Sometimes I think it's no fun being me!
    Love,
    Paca xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Paca, but at least you did go to the beach and were not left at home. Did you get any biscuit at all?

      Delete
    2. Yes, I did, Nobby! I had two whole biscuits with no sharing!

      Delete
    3. We forgot to say how much we enjoyed Gail's writing, but then we always enjoy everything on your blog.

      Delete
  5. I want to wander in these photos, this is what I love, true nature, trees and rocks and paths. I held my breath through the Nobby as a puppy, and felt as though I were in the yard with the three of you. Wild clapping for a perfect read. this was every bit as good as the books I love to read. This is my favorite SO FAR... keep them coming. I think the writing with Nobby is your best because it is from your heart, not just your mind. I often fear for Nobby when I see him on high places.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby, I love that you picked one of these gorgeous photos to refresh your blog banner - very nice indeed. Thanks for letting Gail share more of her assignment writing - I can totally fell her inner conundrum... Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What pretty photos. We love the one looking up at the yellow leaves with the blue sky background, so nice! Great story. I guess your mom learned you need to be the star!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nobby and Gail thank you for sharing the glorious blue skies and golden leaves
    and of course every step of your walk. OH MY DOGS the header is breathtaking too.
    I see you read my post about a wee bit fearful Dui....maybe he needs to come to Scotland to learn some rules about being a fierce Terrier from you.
    I like the leg description too. You legs are quite long
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful walk you went on, Nobby. We love the fall colors starting to show. Gail's tales of your encounters with nature were a wonderful read. We're glad that fox left the garden, and you were not harmed or did any harm to that vole either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such lovely captured Autumn foliage pictures, Nobby...What a nice hike that ust have been!
    xoxo,
    Sunny & Rosy

    From Mama: What a nice picture with words Gail, and I can understand the emotional turmoil lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Nobby so glad to see your sweet photos ~ Yep ~ you were doing what 'terriers' do ~ track and catch ~ but you dear one are a gentleman and obeyed Mom ~ Bravo ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your stories. You have a real skill. Keep at it. The more your write the better you become. I think you and Nobby take the most enchanting walks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good thing that fox ran off, he wouldn't want to have to deal with an angry protective Gail.
    But yes, since you are a terrier like us two...you had to hunt!
    We do the same, esp Benji who is notorious for getting moles out of their underground tunnels. He digs and digs. Today petcretary found two almost bathtub sized holes newly dug...did not see any mole bodies though...and she refilled them all up and then peppered (Cayenne powder), them thoroughly. Which means that tomorrow he/we will start a new 'project'! BOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The pictures are just stunning! Our mom loves autumn and all its beauty! And we love the stories even more!

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!