Wednesday 2 August 2023

A lovely outing. For some.

It all looked so promising on Saturday morning when Gail loaded me into the car and drove the short distance down to the mouth of Aberdeen harbour. We parked in the usual place and I was keenly anticipating a lively romp on the city beach. 

But, I'm sorry to report, things went downhill from then on. (Metaphorically, that is. One can't actually go down hill when standing right beside the harbour.)

First, we walked a very short distance to our friends M and J's car. M is usually such a reliable source of treats designed for big dogs, but she had inexplicably failed to bring any on this occasion.

Then Gail walked me back to our car and put me in the boot. She moved the vehicle to a shady spot, opened the windows a little and topped up my water bowl.

You'll have guessed what this meant. 

In truth I don't mind being left a while in the car. It's a comfy environment - a good place for a snooze, or one can look out the window and watch the passers by. But gosh Gail was gone for a long time. 

I waited patiently, and just as I was beginning to wonder if she would ever return, I heard the click of the car door being opened remotely. Then there was Gail, smelling rather fishy. (Literally, not metaphorically, this time). 

So it seems she'd been with M, J and their friend K, enjoying a meal at the 'Silver Darling', a renowned Aberdeen restaurant overlooking the harbour and the beach. They were celebrating M's birthday and M and J's 56th wedding anniversary. Apparently the food had been splendid, especially the seafood platter, although one has to ask, can a restaurant that doesn't allow dogs inside really be all that great? 

Finally it was time for the beach, and more disappointment to come. 

Most times of year I get to race around on the sands to my little heart's content. But on Saturday Gail decreed I must be kept on my lead and we'd just walk along the promenade. How I would have loved to go down and share some of the picnic food being consumed by the beachgoers, and assist the young children digging sandcastles.

Later at home, Gail showed me some holiday photos from an old family album. It seems she and her brother enjoyed playing on the beach too, when they were children.
Gail with her father and brother, Isle of Wight, summer 1966

15 comments:

  1. we hope there was a big doggy bag from da restaurant... we love the old photo.. maybe you can go back and you can look for the sandcastle they built once?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nobby, what disappointment! I feel it. I had to guard the van on Sunday while F and 2 x Mr B went for pub lunch (and it just rained all over). I wasn't invited because the pub DID permit k9s and there were loads of them (i saw them going in). My humans ate roast lamb. Paw smacks Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Nobby! It's hard to accept that dogs aren't welcome everywhere. I can't understand it - dogs make life so much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Nobby, you might just as well have stayed at home! That really wasn't fair of Gail to get your expectations up of a nice run along the beach. It's too hot now for Carol to take me anywhere that she might have to leave me in the car, even in the shade, and only for a few minutes, so I stay at home and guard the house. I do get treats, so it isn't all bad! For now I have to content myself with the once a day rather boring walk round the neighbourhood. By the time it might be cool enough for a night-time walk, it's dark and there are very few street lights.
    Love,
    Paca xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby, I think it was lovely for Gail to join such a select group and occasion, and you should not grudge her this one time. Though I am at a loss, too, to understand why you were not pawmitted to run the strand! (Pawhaps more to do with Aberdeen council restrictions?) I take note that you appear to have had sunshine at the weekend. Something definitely lacking over the Hutch since my return!!! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail replies: It's the time of year when the beach is relatively well busy and I'm afraid that Nobby cannot be relied upon not to steal picnic food or frighten young children with his boisterous sociability. We did walk briefly on the sand, but only with him on a short lead.

      Delete
  6. What a disappointing day for you, Nobby, and I take it they didn't bring you a treat from the restaurant either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are really lucky to be where you can be left in the car safely. you did get to walk and see all the sand and water and smell the fish when Gail came back from her lunch... In Florida, year round, there is no leaving pets or people in a car even with windows down. there are many times i would take Beau if he could remain in the car while I did a 10 minute run inside for things. he could if bob would ride so we could leave the car running with AC. Beau has never seen a beach or water butt he is still happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. NOBBY OMDs I sure do hope Gail has big plans to make up for what you DID NOT GET TO PARTICIPATE in on Saturday.
    I loved the photo of Gail, Dad and Max (I think that is her brother's name)
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're sorry to hear you were left out of the dining experience and then were only able to be walked on lead at the beach. To be honest, we only get to experience off leash fun in our own backyard. At least it is about an acre in size so there is always plenty to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmmmm....We think Gail my owe you a long walk on the beach once when it's not so busy and definitely owes you a few treats!
    xoxo,
    Sunny & Rosy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry you were left in the boot but it is better than being left alone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh, well at least you got to go along...and see *some* of the sights there. Love the old image.
    I, Benji, was trying to dead a garden snake this past Tuesday...petcretary disallowed that and rescued it...and stole it to the outside of our fenced yard....sigh...peeps can be such pawrty poopers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When reading the first lines of your post, I thought you were being taken to the vet! Well what you actually did was a bit better then that. I hope your people saved you a doggie bag of that delicious dinner they had! But congratulations to your friends' on their birthday and anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a very disappointing day Nobby! They didn't even get you a doggie, eh, fishy bag of leftovers? No fair!

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!