Friday 7 July 2023

The Survival of the Fittest

Readers of this blog will probably already have grasped by now that my owner Gail is not in any way an enthusiast for working in our garden in Aberdeen.  

Rather than admit she is lazy, she prefers to dress this up in pseudo-scientific terminology and say she has a ''Darwinian approach to gardening". (It is also true that Gail prioritizes my very considerable exercise needs, and so I'm not complaining). 

Fortunately, it seems that certain plants thrive under the 'survival of the fittest' regime and I thought I'd use this Nature Friday post to show you some of them. 

Here behind me the ever vigorous Loosestrife provides a vibrant burst of mid-summer yellow.

In among the Loosestrife, a white variety of Campanula is also making a showing.

The orange Potentilla is one shrub Gail did actually plant herself, and although now past its best, the flowers are still rather lovely. 

More yellow (and red) here from the Hypericum,

These little Spirea flowers offer a splash of pink,

And here, more pink, some little geraniums. Gail says if she didn't cut these back each year they would have taken over the entire plot by now.

Although in terms of beauty, they can't compete with this gorgeous peachy pink Rose for Rosy! 

Now, a brief visit to the front of the house, where another Potentilla, this one with yellow flowers, dominates the scene.

You can see me supervising here from the window. I insisted, since we are in Scotland, that Gail take a close up of the sprawling heather too. 

Finally, we'll return to the back garden so I can show you our brand new (non-Darwinian) shed, which belatedly replaces the decrepit one Gail had removed before the pandemic. Rather fine, don't you think?

Happy Nature Friday! 

18 comments:

  1. If that's a Darwinian approach to gardening, it has a lot going for it. The flowers are lovely.
    Nobby, you look majestic, as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    Well Nobby, that shed is indeed a fine article... And I am much impressed with how the garden blooms! All the better for having you check on them, I'm sure. Hugs and wags YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks very verdant, Nobby and what pretty colourful flowers. Personally I'm all for the natural approach to gardening, let nature have it's way, I say! Not that you'd recognise that approach from my garden.
    Love,
    Carol xx
    P:S: Yesterday afternoon Amber went back to the rescue. They took her from a local police station she had been in after she was found abandoned. I brought her home the same day she was released to them, and adopted her. She has gone back to be assessed by a dog behaviourist, which she should have been before she came to me. I'm hoping that they can help her, and me, to make her more confident and less frightened of everything. I miss her very much - she was my little shadow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Carol, this is altogether very sad. I do hope the dog behaviourist can help Amber become a more confident dog, and you might have your little shadow back one day.
      Sending love and hugs, Gail.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Gail - I'm doing my best to keep a stiff upper lip. Carol xx

      Delete
  4. What beautiful flowers and gardens and your shed is lovely! Love the orange potentilla!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The flowers all look absolutely beautiful! Mom doesn't do a thing with the plants around here after she plants them. Gardening isn't her thing. They still grow and once and a while she goes out and cuts them all back, but that is it. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nobby these are new to me. I say no need to mess with perfection...each and ever one seems to be thriving.
    I like your snoopervisor's perch
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. the new shed is really spiffy. your garden is lovely. I do like the poentilla, the blooms are smaller, but they remind me of hibiscus here. I see they do grow here, they sell them at home depot. not a good time for planting here but I would if the drought ever breaks. that rose is really special. best of all is the doggy in the widow, I am singing the old song, How much is that doggy in the window, i do hope that doggies for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have lots of pretty flowers blooming in your garden. We love the orange potentilla and your shed looks very nice. Do you get to explore inside it much?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Nobby, tell Gail we are all for that approach to gardening (it works for us). F spends a lot of time growing vegetables (because humans eat them it seems), but the garden in the yard at home is very much about survival of the fittest. Any time devoted to that garden is spent removing the super competitive species like blackberry and bindweed - lest we become like something out of a scifi novel where the plant world takes over....xxx mr T

    ReplyDelete
  10. We think your garden is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh lovely floral photos but Nobby ~ you are the one I love to see too ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whatever your mom is doing in the garden it is working

    ReplyDelete
  13. We think your Gail is a FABULOUS gardener, she certainly has the touch for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, your garden looks like Gail spends much time in and not just allowing re-wilding (this is a whole movement that when Lady is lazy about yard work, says she is part of . . . .). How wonderful that such beauty is the winner! Lee and Phod

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi hi hi, Ojo here! That is a fine shed indeed! Also, I heard dog pee helps the flowers grow, have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness Nobby, for a garden that isn't regularly tended, you have a most gorgeous array of flowers! Of course, I am extremely partial to the beautiful pink Rosy Rose myself!
    xoxo,
    Rosy

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!