Monday 3 July 2023

Preparation for a Big Trip

Next Saturday, Gail tells me, we are heading off for a Big Trip to England.

Readers might remember that I have ventured south of the Border once before, but that was last summer when I was a still 'just a puppy'.

Now that I am fully grown (nearly 18 months old) I am more aware of some of the differences and the 'sensitivities' between Gail's country of birth and mine, and I have a few questions and concerns. 

First and foremost, given that I am such a sociable chappie, will the other dogs in the park understand my Scottish accent?

Gail assures me that the language of dogs is universal, although I might struggle with some of the humans, especially when we are in Yorkshire. 

I gather it is usually warmer in England than up here in Aberdeen. Since Gail's request to borrow the Scottish National Party's luxury motorhome for our journey down south was ignored, I hope that our little car's air conditioning is working. 

I am assured that is it.

And what about doggy passports? I don't think we've applied for one yet, although I know my predecessor Bertie possessed one. 

Apparently I am not to fret. Bertie's passport was for trips to Germany and Switzerland. I won't need one for England.

And another thing. I've heard Gail's Scottish friends commenting on how lucky we are up here to have the Scottish Outdoor Access Code, which gives us so much freedom to roam in the hills, forests and fields. I'm concerned that they don't have the same rights in England.

Gail tells me that we are fortunate indeed here in Scotland, but not to worry because in England there is an extensive network of public rights of way. Even better, these footpaths tend to connect pretty villages with cosy dog-friendly pubs. So country walks will very much be on the agenda, and the only drawback is that I might have to be on the lead more than here, at least until I learn not to chase sheep. 

Well this all seems most satisfactory, I must say. And I'm looking forward to seeing my standard poodle cousin Coco in Derbyshire, even though Gail tells me she's an old dog now and will probably not want to play. 

Oh and I'm wondering (to myself) if different customs in England stretch to dogs being allowed to jump on tables and chew up pens, and notebooks, and spectacles......

14 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    Well, Nobby, I would advise that you have Gail pack your jumper just in case... It's only 9'C here at Cooks wharf right now and the top predicted for today is seventeen with very high expectation of rain. I'm hopeful they got it wrong! Hugs and wags YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. have a super time... and maybe you will meet da king?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry Nobby, you'll still be able to jump on tables, chew pens and spectacles down in England. Mind you, it will be greeted with exactly the same disapproval as it is in Scotland and you will be told off! You'd really better be on your best behaviour!
    Love Carol xx, written on behalf of Amber, who is spending a few days in kennels because she is so terrified of the workmen and all the noise that's going on here. She will be home either tomorrow night, or Wednesday morning, it depends when they finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Amber. We hope the workmen finish quickly so she can be back home soon.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your Big Trip, Nobby. You will have fun, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're going to have a great time, Nobby. Be on your best behavior and you'll be invited back and don't forget the camera!

    ReplyDelete
  6. will you be able to visit the Queens Corgis? it seems you have found much to think about, so i added one you might have forgotten. I read the artice about the van and it really makes me feel so much better that your country sounds just like our country. crazy crazy crazy. enjoy your ride in the car and your cousin visit and I do hope you find lots of places to wander. Beau said to tell you he does fine living where there is no free to roam places. of course he is MUCH older than you and not in teh still romping stage you are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nobby wishing I could be your traveling Nanny to anywhere cooler than here.
    At 6am our temp was 80 and the feels like temp for today will hovering between 109 and 110.
    I bet you are going to meet your K9 cousins and your huMAN uncle.
    Enjoy the trip and may it be filled with lots of new aromas
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a choice pose Nobby - I reserve that one for really hot days. The heat seems to have gone out of our English summer now....paw smacks Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you will have lots to do on your big trip south, Nobby. We can't wait to hear all about your adventures and visiting family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sure you will love England. If a Yankee like me can understand you I am sure the Brits will.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many worries, friend! I hope your trip will be pawesome! And please let me know if Dogs are allowed to eat from the table in England. If so, I am moving there right away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, the travails of travel... Poor Oscar has been lefty behind this week at the luxury kennels which are so expensive that it deters our going away at times! As for crossing the channel, he has a French passport - Monsieur Oscar, being his French name!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your trip sounds like quite the adventure, so we are glad to see that you were resting up before heading out! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!