Wednesday 23 November 2022

Friendly, Forthcoming, Fearless


In the UK, the phrase "it does what it says on the tin", originally from an advertising campaign for a well known wood-sealing product, is now in common usage.

The other day, Gail was checking out the Kennel Club's breed standards webpage and found the WFT temperament described thus: 

Friendly, forthcoming and fearless. 

She also noted, among the characteristics required of my breed are: 

Alert, keen of movement, quick of expression, on tiptoe of expectation at the slightest provocation. Eyes dark, full of fire and intelligence.

And you know what she said after reading these descriptions?

"Well Nobby, this reminds me of that Ronseal ad."

Gail also said, perhaps less flatteringly, it called to mind the notion that certain phrases can require a degree of de-coding. Think, for example, of those commonly used in workplace appraisals:

Good social skills -  drinks a lot
Quick thinking - offers plausible excuses for errors
Character above reproach - still one step ahead of the law
etc.

Can you believe she suggested the following 'translations' would be appropriate in my case:

Friendly - never met a dog he didn't want to play with
Forthcoming - can spot another dog at a distance of half a mile and will rush off at speed, ignoring all calls, to greet him/her with boisterous enthusiasm
Fearless - never, ever backs away, even when the situation demands it  
Alert, on the tiptoe of expectation etc. - never fails to spot an opportunity for mischief when Gail's back is turned
Eyes full of fire and intelligence - smarter than his owner...

I'm wondering how accurately my canine readers meet their official breed standards?


7 comments:

  1. Nobby, that's some translation!
    No idea what mine would be, not having a pedigree to refer to, though I am part Golden Retriever, with the appetite of a very hungry Labrador. Apart from that, Carol seems very pleased with me - so far. We haven't been together long enough yet for her to make a fair appraisal.
    Love,
    Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure whether you are lucky or burdened by that Nobby. There is no breed standard for a moggy. I can be what I like. On the other hand that last photo of you could perhaps be used to illustrate you breed standard - it is very noble looking. paw smacks Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Nobby I 100% agree with all the WFT breed descriptions.
    I especially liked Alert, on the tiptoe of expectation etc. that speaks to a recent tale of a WFT taking 1/2 of Gail's lunch. You don't miss a trick.
    Friendly is #1 top of anyone's list of traits no matter how many legs they have.
    Work place appraisals for me:
    Good social skills: talks a lot
    Quick Thinking; a necessity when working with those who procrastinate
    Character above reproach: I find I might share the forthcoming WFT traits Hugs
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nobby Happy Birthday to your GAIL. I hope she has a lovely bday doing exactly what she wants to do...maybe a dry bike ride too
    Hugs Cecilia and Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari Om
    Well Nobby, yet again I discover there was a post missing from my reader... how annoying for this was an excellent read. If, pawhaps, flattery by stealth or criticism by subterfuge! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail says: I am wondering if this post went missing more generally, given the rather fewer than usual comments. Or was it that the Ronseal advert reference confused readers!

      Delete

We love it when you woof back!