Friday 29 April 2022

A debate on the Nature of Nature Friday

Now that I am out and about and enjoying lots of short walks around my locality, I am of course bursting with ideas for my 'Nature Friday' posts. 

I am all excited at the thought of telling you about the interesting and exquisite aromas I have been encountering on my walks, ranging from 'Decomposing Seagull', through to 'Solid Excretions from Local Fox who has been Rummaging in the Bins'.

So Gail took me to the Duthie Park, and I am pleased to report on what I found:

Here I think my neighbour Angus the Black Lab has tried to claim some territory under the Berberis bush.

Now we have the sweet trace of a discarded 'joint' under the Lenten roses. Cool, man...

Here in front of the bed of pink 'Bellis' blooms I am distracted by a passing jogger, bearing the distinctive whiff of sweaty male human. Nice juicy looking calves too...

Hmmm. The marsh marigolds proliferate around the edge of the nicely stagnant pond water. I wonder if Gail will let me wade in there and take a sip. (She didn't). 

Next, a boringly well ordered bed of Primula. On the far side I see some crows are murdering a discarded fish supper, just out of shot. Interesting. 

Most of the daffodils in the park are a bit 'past it' by now. Unlike yours truly! 

To my mind the, best thing in the next picture is the nice crunchy snail I found under the geranium plant. 

But Gail (who removed the snail from between my clenched jaws) says I'm missing the point and I need to post a close up of the magnificent 'Crown Imperial' lily. 

Under the magnolia bush close to the entrance, one's nose is assaulted by a veritable deluge of messages left by canine visitors who have clearly been holding it all in until within the park boundary. 

Finally, on the way home, I think a C-A-T must have been prowling around near this cherry tree. 

Again, Gail says I am missing the point, and readers will want to see the glorious cherry blossom and not read about the cat pee... In fact, she claims I have still much to learn about 'appropriate' Nature Friday material and that I should focus next time on 'posing nicely' and describing all the pretty flowers.  

Happy Nature Friday to all my lovely friends - especially blog hop hosts the LLB Gang.

14 comments:

  1. we go with the crows and the fish... boy what would be the place to roll hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume you have 'not yet' found rolling in stinky smells is appropriate for dogs. of course, Gail will say the opposite. the close up of the flowering tree and the yellow lily is just amazing to me. I love your first nature Friday with Smell Report... especially the snail report. Looking forward to more of your cute smell reports and watching you do ANYTHING is perfect.... Beau loves the smells also and I let him smell as much as he wants..

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure did find lots of beautiful flowers, Nobby, but I'm with you - the sniffing and discovering is the best part!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    Well, Nobby, I think it is important to get as full a picture as possible of one's surroundings when walking through nature... so by all means describe the sounds and smells and let Gail get on with the sights bit!!! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx
    Y=Yamini

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Nobby, that's not a bad report for your first Nature Friday.
    Though much as we canines appreciate the aromas of decomposing fish and cat-pee (there's plenty of that in our garden, if you're ever this way) and nice little delectables on the wayside, I think our humans prefer photos and descriptions of the beautiful trees and attractive plants you encounter. Perhaps you could just concentrate on the blossoms and flowers for the moment? Sad isn't it, they don't appreciate our enjoyment of pee-mail or rotting corpses. Humans are such funny beings!

    Love,
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so beautiful and springy, especially the cherry blossoms. We are still all dead around here. Hopefully it will warm up soon and the sunshine will come back and everything will bloom. We can't even buy flowers yet because we have had frost almost every morning this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, Nobby, I enjoyed both your and Gail's descriptions—which, in toto, provide a well-rounded view of the many natural delights you encountered. I look forward to many more Friday reports! And thankyou for reminding me about "Lenten roses," the name had escaped me, and they are blooming here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nobby now that I have regained my composure after reading :
    " discarded 'joint' under the Lenten roses. Cool, man." I will leave my thoughts on today's post. First of all well done wee one. You ID'd you are King of Scents.
    After working nearly 30 years with engineers, chemists and physicist at NCSU, I think I can safely say you were on sensory overload at the Park. Your wee WFT nose had to pick one of your 7 senses to use and of course we knows that your nose won. So again well done
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sure have lots of beautiful things in bloom to show us, Nobby. We are just starting to see some of our shrubs getting ready to bloom here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nobby, we think you did a fabulous job showing us the less appreciated forms of nature...just perfect for Nature Friday!
    xoxo,
    Rosy, Sunny and Jakey
    PeeEss..from Sunny..Aren't snails the BEST?! I must admit, the crunchiness is the best part!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spring is a great time to be a puppy. All the smells are new and so is your nose.

    ReplyDelete
  12. First, we completely agree it was totally unfair that your brother was able to continue to play when you could not. Also, it is wonderful that you are the life of the party. Finally, we agree more with your take on nature. We would do posts about goose poop and dead things but Lady says no. Lee and Phod

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi young friend, Ojo here! Decomposing Seagull! Solid Excretions from Local Fox! And a Crunchy Snail! (Eat faster next time, young one!) What great things you've found!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We love all the pretty pictures for sure, but when you are a puppy EVERYTHING is new and exciting! We love your descriptions of the wonderful smells you encountered!

    Rosie and Redford

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you woof back!